Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Matt, Matt Romanowski has given good answers and guidance, but in my experience, “intelligent video” (video with indicators like RPM, speed, g’s, throttle position and brake on/off, all of which your 2004 car will deliver to a Solo DL/Solo 2 DL, the latter you'll
need to eventually use AiM’s planned auto-sync video within the data analysis window, IS the MOST easily assimilated way to review your information, even before diving into squiggly lines, colored maps, scatter plots and channel reports.

Video (and audio) of you interacting with the car, validating proper placement and providing auditory feedback is critical in not only shortening your learning curve with the data, but also encourage the best use of that data, validated by what you were seeing, feeling and doing in the car to MAKE those squiggly lines. You have to have the complete picture to come
to the correct conclusion and having video eliminates almost all the opportunity for misreading what you see from the Solo DL, again, this is my opinion and experience using and teaching others to coach themselves with this equipment.
I think this is where Peter and I really diverge on how we approach things. Not exactly my method, but I think James Colburn does a great job in this video showing how you can look at many laps, very quickly, to see what your trends are and find areas for improvement.

For almost all drivers, getting better is really about doing the basics PERFECT all the time (haven't we all heard that before!). With that, looking a few laps, you can quickly see the quality of braking (application and release), throttle pickup, steering inputs, etc. I find this much faster in the data than looking at multiple laps of video. In my opinion, it's also easy to see the variance as it's the difference in two graph lines and less subjective. IMHO, video is great when someone is way off the line and then again at the very, very pointy end of driving. That is when the very slight differences in car placement become more and more important. For that level of comparison, I look data first and then jump to Joris' Compare My Laps. That tool is simply AMAZING for video review.

But, more important in exactly which method you follow, is to do it! Data and video without immediate review and goal setting from it doesn't help anyone. I always have a track map with the review so we can highlight the 3 (or less) items to work on the next session. I also like to highlight was what was done well. Mix some positive in there too!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
"AIM is great. Super easy to setup and use."

Not in my experience.

I had to have my EVO4 replaced because it was defective. The AiM distributor in Lake Elsinore replaced it after testing it.

My SmartyCam was sent to Italy for repair. Have not heard yet what the problem was and haven't had a chance to test it again.

Currently having software problems that Matt has been helping me with. He was not able to figure out what the problem is and sent my data files to Italy.

So, ah, no. I don't think AiM is trouble free and easy to use. The only reason I continue to use it is because I have too much time invested in learning to use the software.
You have definitely had more issues than me on the system. I just don't want to scare someone away based on your experiences. Most of my buddies have the DL and several with smartycam and they have been bullet proof for us. Additionally, we frequently share data and have had no issues with using GPS lap insert to synch data. My set up has been pretty much set it and forget it. 100% reliable so far tap on wood.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
You have definitely had more issues than me on the system. I just don't want to scare someone away based on your experiences. Most of my buddies have the DL and several with smartycam and they have been bullet proof for us. Additionally, we frequently share data and have had no issues with using GPS lap insert to synch data. My set up has been pretty much set it and forget it. 100% reliable so far tap on wood.
And I think most would agree with your and your friend's experience. I heard the same thing alot walking up and down the paddock at Sebring this week. "It just works."

Many of the issues boil down to configuration errors, firmware mismatches and other things easily addressed.

I'm sorry to hear of zzyzx's problems, his dealer should be able to resolve them on his behalf, down to training, too. Not his fault, not anyones, just a bad confluence of events.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-02-2018, 12:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I think this is where Peter and I really diverge on how we approach things. Not exactly my method, but I think James Colburn does a great job in this video showing how you can look at many laps, very quickly, to see what your trends are and find areas for improvement. https://youtu.be/SswX8Z8DBkQ

For that level of comparison, I look data first and then jump to Joris' Compare My Laps. That tool is simply AMAZING for video review.

But, more important in exactly which method you follow, is to do it! Data and video without immediate review and goal setting from it doesn't help anyone.
Agreed with the bold, completely!

I think James' video on lap comparison is good, but without synced video for the laps, you can't always explain the variations. AiM (and even Joris' tool) can't do that... AiM is the last one not to be able to...
Old 02-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I wanted to thank you all for chiming in here - lots to think about. This is the time to do it, over a long cold winter!

I will continue to read as much as I can, and be back with any follow-up questions as required.

Cheers

Matt
Old 02-03-2018, 04:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I wanted to thank you all for chiming in here - lots to think about. This is the time to do it, over a long cold winter!

I will continue to read as much as I can, and be back with any follow-up questions as required.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Newbie AIM data questions