Notices

Big disparities between AiM Solo and EVO4 dataloggers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update. So far, this problem is still unresolved. The files were sent to AiM in Italy, and this was the answer:

"I just heard back from the main software guy in Italy. The problem is from the download of the file combining multiple sessions in one file. He said if you download the sessions again as separate files, the error will go away."

This makes no sense to me. Are they saying that you have to download a session immediately after each run?

On both my EVO and my Solo, when I look at the GPS map, the icons representing the different laps don't line up at the S/F line. I don't know why this happens in the first place, and when I try to do a "GPS lap insert," I am always able to do so.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:28 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Here is a screenshot from several laps from my Solo data. All runs are from the same day. All should be aligned at the S/F line, but clearly they are all over the place.

Why does this happen?

Again, this is from a Solo. Should just be plug and play, right? Is there a software bug?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
screenshot GPS.PDF (89.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Here is a screenshot from several laps from my Solo data. All runs are from the same day. All should be aligned at the S/F line, but clearly they are all over the place.

Why does this happen?

Again, this is from a Solo. Should just be plug and play, right? Is there a software bug?
Is it possible that you somehow have two tracks loaded into the SOLO with different S/F coordinates and depending on where you are when you turn it on, it recognized one or the other tracks.

Have looked at GPS Manager? If it was me, I'd probably just remove all of the tracks on the SOLO and re load from the PC database.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Is it possible that you somehow have two tracks loaded into the SOLO with different S/F coordinates and depending on where you are when you turn it on, it recognized one or the other tracks.

Have looked at GPS Manager? If it was me, I'd probably just remove all of the tracks on the SOLO and re load from the PC database.
It is a start/finish problem. There was a mistake (not his) when the data from the Solo was downloaded as a combined session, so he can't do a GPS lap insert. If he still had the data on the Solo (he doesn't), he could re-download the data and it would be correctable with a GPS lap insert.

So now, with the current situation, there are two things to do. Manually shift the data using the snap mode so you can align a lap to the other data for comparison (the quick way to align a lap). Second, correct the start/finish coordinates with GPS Manager so he doesn't have this problem again.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
The problem is from the download of the file combining multiple sessions in one file. He said if you download the sessions again as separate files, "the error will go away."

This makes no sense to me. Are they saying that you have to download a session immediately after each run?
No. In Race Studio 2, when you select "Download Data" and you're connected with the Solo DL, a dialog box pops up asking you to select the runs you want to download.

In the top right of the dialog box, there is a button called "Options" Select that and then select "download one file for each test"

Done!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It is a start/finish problem. There was a mistake (not his) when the data from the Solo was downloaded as a combined session, so he can't do a GPS lap insert. If he still had the data on the Solo (he doesn't), he could re-download the data and it would be correctable with a GPS lap insert.

So now, with the current situation, there are two things to do. Manually shift the data using the snap mode so you can align a lap to the other data for comparison (the quick way to align a lap). Second, correct the start/finish coordinates with GPS Manager so he doesn't have this problem again.
I thought he said the data in the screenshot was from Solo for the same day. If that is the case, when downloaded, S/F should be the same for all sessions.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I thought he said the data in the screenshot was from Solo for the same day. If that is the case, when downloaded, S/F should be the same for all sessions.
Nope, not necessarily.

Not if the devices have different GPS Manager database loads (or the track is not loade, or the start/finish is MANUALLY set on one or BOTH of the devices). Just trying to show how many variables exist that can screw up the mix, especially in legacy hardware.

I do like the idea of wiping clean the track list in both loggers.

Then, make sure the latest version of GPS Manager is loaded and the latest track database is installed.

Then, send the desired tracks to each device.

Thats what I would do before I send anything in for repair/diagnostics.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:00 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Nope, not necessarily.

Not if the devices have different GPS Manager database loads (or the track is not loade, or the start/finish is MANUALLY set on one or BOTH of the devices). Just trying to show how many variables exist that can screw up the mix, especially in legacy hardware.

I do like the idea of wiping clean the track list in both loggers.

Then, make sure the latest version of GPS Manager is loaded and the latest track database is installed.

Then, send the desired tracks to each device.

Thats what I would do before I send anything in for repair/diagnostics.
We're agreeing with each other, but I am reading his post and screenshot being from SAME solo on SAME track on SAME day.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:21 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Thanks for all your input so far.

I will try these suggestions when I have time in the next few days and let you guys know how it worked out.

Yes, Solo data was downloaded all at once and the EVO data was from the same day.

Quick Reply: Big disparities between AiM Solo and EVO4 dataloggers