Racepak question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Racepak question

Hey guys,

Looking for something to replace my sometimes unreliable Traqdash system ... it's nice when it operates correctly but the screen
freezes at times , usually before going out for a session which means i have no RPM's or lap times displayed and forget about playing
with it once i'm out on track ...
Have a chance to pick up a complete Racepak IQ3 for a good price , though from what i understand it doesn't support video or camera functions, am i correct ?
Is there a way to make it happen or do i have to wait and at one point buy a more expensive AIM system , unfortunately it isn't in my budget for this season.I think
there used to be software to support data but they don't offer it anymore.I know most of you are using AIM products, just wondering if there are options left for Racepak.

Thank you !
Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

I haven't done much with Racepak other than replace them with AiM

I know they still make the IQ3, but I don't know about their video solutions. I started an Advanced Racecar Data Acquisition Group on FB and some of the guys there use it. They also own the drag racing market.

I wouldn't advise getting one based on the experience I've seen people have with that product in an road race car.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 PM
dasing
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a long time Racepak user. While technically the Racepak software, DataLinkII, can link video to data, it is so cumbersome and limited in functionality that I find it useless. The best real functionality that it has in terms of video is creating a text file that Trackvision can import for overlaying data and video. However, Trackvision now seems to be defunct.

A general comment about DataLinkII: Despite its first appearance, the software is pretty powerful. However, you have to do a LOT of custom programming to make specialized plots, tables, and page layouts. X-Y plots aren't even offered in the default layouts! You can find a discussion of some of the custom layouts several of us have come up with here:

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...m-Runlog-Pages

I really hate to say this but if you are starting from scratch in the area of data systems, I would pass on Racepak's products that use DataLinkII for processing. The software is quite old, which is ok, but it takes way too much time and effort to make the displays that you can easily make in AiM and other products.

I can't speak to, nor are you asking about, Racepak's newer products which are more smart phone and tablet based. I've never used any of them.

I can go on-and-on, but that's a summary from my perspective.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:40 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Thank you for the info , i had a feeling it would be complicated with Racepak ... all my gauges are mechanical so it would just be used for lap times and rpm's
which my Traqmate already supports .I would have to figure out a system to start the camera recording with the Racepak unit ...
For now it would be a backup for whenever my Traqmate crashes again during a race weekend , as i said the price is really too good to pass on !
Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Can’t recommend the IQ3 and Datalink II.

Can recommend the CL1 or CL2, but no video solution.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:06 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Started with an IQ3, great looking dash, easily added sensors from whatever manufacturer, good shift lights, alarms were easy.

software....just not so good...unless you spend alot of time getting used to it.....it can be done but not for most.

i now run an Aim dash and use a VBox and wouldnt turn back.

i actually still have the IQ3 sitting around with a bunch if extra sensor stuff if anyone is interested in a cheap system.

if the deal is good enough and you just want a dash with alarms have at it and then get a solo or vbox haha
Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 834 Likes on 419 Posts

I took started with racepak, the G2X. It was ok, but the software was just not very good. I,upgraded to a Motec ADL2 and then my current C187. IMO, buy the system which has the software that works best for you. Most of the software programs are free to download and try out.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:41 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

OK , i kind of get the idea !
I also have a lead on a used older generation MXL Pista , which would most likely require a bunch of updates to bring it
up to more modern standards.I believe it would need GPS and some other bits , perhaps somebody could inform me on what
would be required , which cameras i could use ?
At this time , all my gauges are mechanical, eventually will change depending on what i install !

Thank you !
Old 03-15-2019, 12:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wildcat077
OK , i kind of get the idea !
I also have a lead on a used older generation MXL Pista , which would most likely require a bunch of updates to bring it
up to more modern standards.I believe it would need GPS and some other bits , perhaps somebody could inform me on what
would be required , which cameras i could use ?
At this time , all my gauges are mechanical, eventually will change depending on what i install !

Thank you !
MXL Pistas are fine. They use Race Studio 2 to configure and interact with, and GPS Manager to load tracks. With a simple firmware upgrade, if not current already, they are urged, reliable and dependable unites manufactured for more than 11 years. The early ones came with an IR receiver for the external timing beacon, but the GPS-05 or GPS-08 may be included or can be added easily. You'll need a four port data hub if you use any other accessories than adding the GPS-05 or -08, examples would be a SmartyCam or Lamda Control unit.

Add some sensors, some 719-719 four-pin plastic push on connector patch cables in the length you need and you're good to go!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

While the MXL Pista is a dash, I would not recommend it if you are going to be doing a whole conversion if it's not complete. While a new dash is more money, you're going to be spending a decent amount on sensors, cables, and install labor. Going through all that, it's worth having the latest IMHO. You wouldn't buy a (minimum) 4 year old laptop! The Pista is a great dash when upgraded with the GPS and necessary devices, but it is not 2 generations old. Plus, when RS3 Analysis is released, it won't do combined video/data in the software. That will be worth the upgrade to many people. For a low budget Lemons/AER/Chumpcar setup, it's awesome.

If you do go forward with it, I have everything you would need to get it up and running. Let me know if I can help.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Just make sure the main wiring harness is included. A plus if the GPS-05 or GPS-08 is included. The new dashes with antennas, so no one should have "kept" theirs, but I know some shops have...

Quick Reply: Racepak question