Notices

Track Walk Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking Track Walk Results

I watched the Laguna Seca Track Walk, by Ross and Peter 3 times last week, and this past Friday, drove Laguna Seca with PCA, a DE. Did it help? Best $47.00 I (My wife) ever spent on my hobby. For those of you that have driven Laguna Seca, the Track Walk reminds you that the track lacks grip....built on a dry lake bed, so it follows. I sort of felt this from past event ... it's true.

I used all their pointers for the turn in's and where to hit the apex, the exit line, and most importantly, the visual reference points around the track. The biggest gain for me was at Turn 9 where I went in deeper, and wider, and cranked my head to look left to view the Turn 9 apex gator.

This was my first time at Laguna Seca in a 2004 GT3 compared to previous times with a decently track prepared 993, down 100 HP from the GT3, ergo I was cautious in some of the more treacherous spots, but NOT the Corkscrew, or Turn 9...love these turns. My times were not super quick, but they were consistent at a 1:46.5.....my goal will be to get into the low 1:40s, at that point I'll be "hauling the mail." I am going to of Peter and Ross' upcoming Webinar, on the 26th I believe, to feed my head. BTWm the 1:46.5 was quicker than my track prepped 993, THANK GOD!

Lastly, I used the new SOLO 2, and set it up for predictive labs, damn it's fun. When you are on a lap, and the vertical LED array is Green, you are at that point on the track, quicker than any other lab in that session. Keep it Green...when you see Red, you are slower than the fastest lap.

The other think that is really cool, is the satellite track map. View you quickest lap in the color of your choice. Then overlay your next quicker lab in a contrasting color, and voila, you'll see why you were faster. In my case I could see that my Peter/Ross line through turn 9 was the major difference. Note: You wont find this little trick in the SOLO2 owners manual....you wont find much at all in the owners manual, you need to get some coaching and/or watch the AiM videos. Learning Race Studio 3 is not exactly intuitive. There is so much critical data to review, example segments. If the track has 11 turns, you'll see 11 segments, for each lap with timed data on each segment. You can then out together 11 of your tastes segments for all laps in that session, and determine a theoretical best lap time. Example, my PB at Willow Springs was a a 1:32.3. My theoretical best laps was a 1:31...so with that number in mind I know I could turn some 1:31s. I use a coach on Race Studion3, and will continue to do so until I master this arcane piece of software....but don't get me wrong, it's worth the effort to learn it. And why a coach, you she to be self sustainable and be able TO REVIEW DATA AFTER EACH SESSION, NOT AT THE END OF THE DAY, BY THEN IT'S TOO LATE, or else you have just overpaid $400 for a lap timer. I didn't have my coach with me, OR, I would have seen early on, how important that Peter/Ross tweek in turn 9 was to my lap times. Butt dynos don't work, data, data, data. And, if there is a Peter/Ross track walk, buy it and view it at least 5X.

Quick Reply: Track Walk Results