Notices

gs-dash or mxm available yet

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:00 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default gs-dash or mxm available yet

Almost a year ago there was discussion of the MXM and GS-Dash/EVO4S combos. I ended up with a SoloDL and love it, but was wondering what the state of these devices is? Have a SCHD too.

DB
Old 10-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

The GS Dash is available and works with the Evo4s and Evo5. It's a great peice of kit.

The MXm is still in development. It's changed hardware a few times and will have more capabilities when it is done.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

For DEs purposes with a modern ECU car, what advantages would the EVO4S+GS-Dash combo give me over a SoloDL?
Old 10-16-2017, 01:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
For DEs purposes with a modern ECU car, what advantages would the EVO4S+GS-Dash combo give me over a SoloDL?
It depends on what channels come through your CAN or OBDII connection, and whether or not you want valuable additions lIke shift lights, programmable alarms (for monitoring car health or driver improvement metrics) and far more configurable display pages.

The MXM will be limited in what it can do, in ways similar to the Solo DL, to
make a price point. Plus, it’s not here. I’m probably going to recommend it for older cars or very limited requirement newer cars that need one or two more sensors added.

The EVO4S/GS-Dash combo offer virtually limitless expansion. I think for the money, the EVO4S/GS-Dash combo are a sweet spot for the performance value. I’ve sent out half a dozen of these combinations in the last ten days... about three dozen since they’ve come out.

That said, I put an EVO5/GS-Dash combo in my car, so I can add four wheel speeds, four shock pots and four IZZE CAN-based IR tire temp sensors (three channels each corner).

Again, for the money, the EVO4S/GS-Dash offers MUCH more for DE/track-day and Club Racing folks than the Solo DL, in my experience.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It depends on what channels come through your CAN or OBDII connection, and whether or not you want valuable additions lIke shift lights, programmable alarms (for monitoring car health or driver improvement metrics) and far more configurable display pages.

The MXM will be limited in what it can do, in ways similar to the Solo DL, to
make a price point. Plus, it’s not here. I’m probably going to recommend it for older cars or very limited requirement newer cars that need one or two more sensors added.

The EVO4S/GS-Dash combo offer virtually limitless expansion. I think for the money, the EVO4S/GS-Dash combo are a sweet spot for the performance value. I’ve sent out half a dozen of these combinations in the last ten days... about three dozen since they’ve come out.

That said, I put an EVO5/GS-Dash combo in my car, so I can add four wheel speeds, four shock pots and four IZZE CAN-based IR tire temp sensors (three channels each corner).

Again, for the money, the EVO4S/GS-Dash offers MUCH more for DE/track-day and Club Racing folks than the Solo DL, in my experience.
Relative to a SoloDL, does the GS-Dash display offer higher contrast/better readability? I find the Solo display marginal for readability/contrast.

Also, will the GS-Dash plus Evo4s offer the same (assume better) live displays when on the track like current lap time, predictive lap time, best lap, etc.

Looks like the hard mount of the CPU (Evo4s) v. display will fix the accelerometers, so I only have to cal once.

Appears moving up the EVO5 gets me wifi downloads.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Relative to a SoloDL, does the GS-Dash display offer higher contrast/better readability? I find the Solo display marginal for readability/contrast.

Also, will the GS-Dash plus Evo4s offer the same (assume better) live displays when on the track like current lap time, predictive lap time, best lap, etc.

Looks like the hard mount of the CPU (Evo4s) v. display will fix the accelerometers, so I only have to cal once.

Appears moving up the EVO5 gets me wifi downloads.
I’m older, so I need all the help I can get. The larger characters possible in the GS-Dash are really nice!

Yes, the display offers more and better lap timing options due to the real estate.

Yes, the hard mount is an improvement and does provide more consistent actual information.

While the EVO5 does offer WiFi downloads and configuration, it also has an internal SD card that is hot swappable, up to eight AD inputs, a secondary CAN input (ABS or other accessories) all in a very tidy package. Basically a “blind” version of the MXL2/MXS/MXG loggers, like the MoTeC L120.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:17 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I’m older, so I need all the help I can get. The larger characters possible in the GS-Dash are really nice!

Yes, the display offers more and better lap timing options due to the real estate.

Yes, the hard mount is an improvement and does provide more consistent actual information.

While the EVO5 does offer WiFi downloads and configuration, it also has an internal SD card that is hot swappable, up to eight AD inputs, a secondary CAN input (ABS or other accessories) all in a very tidy package. Basically a “blind” version of the MXL2/MXS/MXG loggers, like the MoTeC L120.
Thanks! Where would one normally mount the GS-DASH in a 997 with existing modern dash? Same as Solo (lower left windshield)?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks! Where would one normally mount the GS-DASH in a 997 with existing modern dash? Same as Solo (lower left windshield)?
That's where I would put it. I supply a RAM 1" ball mount that bolts to the back of the GS-Dash. Swap it out and go.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Just to make sure this is clear for people, the GS Dash (or MXL2, MXS, MXG) does not offer any different timing data than the Solo or Solo DL. They all offer last lap, predictive time, rolling lap time, and plus/minus. The size of the display and where it can be located is different, but it's the same info.

One nice things with the GS Dash and display loggers over the Solo or Solo DL is the alarms. You can then set an alarm to under a certain speed) so you can maintain a certain minimum through a corner. There are also some other cool tricks I've done with the on board math channels and the alarm lights on the GS Dash which is easily replicated on any of the new dashes.

The MXm should have the same functionality as the GS Dash for displays and alarms, just limited inputs. We'll find out once it's ready for release!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Just to make sure this is clear for people, the GS Dash (or MXL2, MXS, MXG) does not offer any different timing data than the Solo or Solo DL. They all offer last lap, predictive time, rolling lap time, and plus/minus. The size of the display and where it can be located is different, but it's the same info.

One nice things with the GS Dash and display loggers over the Solo or Solo DL is the alarms.
Yep, that's right.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:35 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Yep, that's right.
Can you program a dynamic lateral-a readout? Perhaps a bar graph?
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No bar graph, but you could display the number.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

What would (will) be nice is a bar graph for time gained/lost, like MoTeC, TraqDash, VBOX and the others.

Color coded, in the case of the MXS (or MXS-Dash?)/MXG...

THIS is the end result of maximizing lat G, for which how LONG is MUCH more important than how MUCH.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
No bar graph, but you could display the number.
And of course, you could program an LED (or multiple) in stages levels of reading. Say green for up to and equal to .8g lat G, yellow for above .8g up to .9g and red for 1.0g and above... or any combination thereof.

You could generate a math channel that would take care of signed values, right Matt?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Any guesses as to whether the MXM will be released by spring?

Quick Reply: gs-dash or mxm available yet