Notices

WGI - 996 GT3 - squiggly lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default WGI - 996 GT3 - squiggly lines

Second visit to this track and there's some obvious inconsistencies in there that need to be cleaned up.

I realize this is a pretty limited data set but if there's anything that stands out that I should work on next time please let me know.

I kept switching back and forth for 11 between 3rd and 4th gear and ultimately decided 4th was the better way to do it....in looking at the video the one lap where I make up time coming out of 11 I'm in 3rd vs. the reference lap in 4th

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 08-28-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:47 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I hate flikr...no time to figure out why it posts things twice.

GPS Lat

Old 08-28-2017, 02:49 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

FYI - you've somehow given us access to your whole flickr account...
Old 08-28-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

awesome...enjoy our recent nurburgring trip pics :-)

I can't stand flickr...looking for alternatives now
Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 102 Posts

Its interesting... I have a 997 GT3RS and I see a couple things that that are similar for me.

I start by looking at the reference graph to see where time is gained and lost most, and thats the low hanging fruit.

I notice that in turn 1 and then at around 12750 feet is where your reference lines show the most amount of change. If you notice in both of those places you actually gain time in your slower laps going into the corner, and then lose time coming out.... with an overall net loss. Looking at your speed graph, you gain time because you are at a higher speed on entry, BUT by going in slower, you are back to the throttle quicker and carry that all the way down to the next corner.

I think this is just a natural state of driving a 911 fast (relative to lets say, a Cayman).

I was comparing data for a different track last year with a very experienced instructor friend of mine who drives a Cayman. He was crushing me time-wise in the brake zone but I was back to the throttle much quicker than he was. In my mind, I needed maintenance or slight positive throttle to keep the rear end settled (at least that was the rationale). But he was ultimately quicker (could be that I'm just not the driver he is also).

So I tried carrying more speed into corners this year. My overall lap times were faster, but for the corners with the hardest braking followed by the longest straights, I was making 7/10s of a second on entry, but because back to the gas much later lost a full second all the way down to the next braking zone.

I go thru all of this as I (think) I see that with your traces in the places I noted.

Otherwise, your traces are remarkably consistent and without significant enough variation to be able (for me) to derive anything else.

I guess this kinda proves the "slow in, fast out" saying....

Thanks for sharing. This is extremely helpful for me in seeing the data of someone else driving a GT3. I dont want to hijack your thread, but could post a pic of my data trace if you would like.... just let me know.

Erik
Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Some nice times there Andy. Especially given how few times you have been there. I was hoping to make it up to WGI on the weekend and maybe run with you but I had other things going on preventing that. We could have had some fun!

Looks like there is a little more speed in the esses based on the four traces, which adds more speed at the end of the back straight. The bus stop is a great way to loose time, but hard to tell here what your approach was. Are you breaking before going down the hill in the carousel? 11 is absolutley a 4th gear corner in both my cars, but requires you to carry a lot of corner speed, which many struggle to do properly.

Would love to see what your overall track distance is. A good lap at WGI uses a very efficient or 'short' track distance as well as high speed.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Matt, wish you could have been there to bounce ideas off of and to be a rabbit for me as I was really struggling with T6, T7 and T9. If I was wider on entry the car was over rotating in a scary way trying to get it pointed so I moved to a narrow entry where I was still quick on entry but felt like it was costing me out and on the run down the next straight.

The switch to 4th through 11 was good overall but I struggled to get the most from it.

I've got some video for sure of the 2:01.7 switched cameras on Sunday and I'm not sure if the video turned out on the 2:01.5.

I know I can get sub 2:01 on my own as I had a couple laps that were on target where I hit traffic. It's going to take some serious work to get much more comfortable and go quicker as at the current level I was at my acceptable risk limits.

Eric- would love to see some comparative data.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Matt, wish you could have been there to bounce ideas off of and to be a rabbit for me as I was really struggling with T6, T7 and T9. If I was wider on entry the car was over rotating in a scary way trying to get it pointed so I moved to a narrow entry where I was still quick on entry but felt like it was costing me out and on the run down the next straight.

The switch to 4th through 11 was good overall but I struggled to get the most from it.

I've got some video for sure of the 2:01.7 switched cameras on Sunday and I'm not sure if the video turned out on the 2:01.5.

I know I can get sub 2:01 on my own as I had a couple laps that were on target where I hit traffic. It's going to take some serious work to get much more comfortable and go quicker as at the current level I was at my acceptable risk limits.

Eric- would love to see some comparative data.
I am there again on the 18th and 19th next month if that works at all for you. NNJR upper run group event with lots of track time. 6, 7 and 9 are all corners where entry, line and throttle control have big dividends and high consequences.

I have been 1:58 there several times and could probably go a little faster, but mostly choose not to these days as it becomes a disminishing goal thing. But with someone like you there, I could be encouraged to push a little!

Send me a link to video if you put it up anywhere
Old 08-28-2017, 10:54 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I'm having issues with my home PC so I haven't been able to overlay data yet...but here's the raw videos. you can see the AIM solo in the corner of the dash esp on the high quality one.

...and yeah...I get a little excited when I really post a lap :-)

Friday - 2:02.1 followed by 2:01.7 - first time I went sub 2:02

Sunday - end of a 2:02.5 followed by 2:01.5. IF you look close at the timer I lost .4 between T7 and the start finish line. Also camera fail here as it started to fall over and point at the floor from the curbs and as such the spot metering got screwed up some. Still not horrible

My car is still 3250lbs with me in it. Doubt a :58 is reasonable for me to shoot for but I'd love to have a rabbit to chase none the less.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Nice laps Andy. I see a couple of things that can get you some more time.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by mmuller
Nice laps Andy. I see a couple of things that can get you some more time.

No go for me for NNJR, can't take any more days off of work this year I used them all on for our Europe / Nurburgring trip. Well worth it but sucks I have literally no more days off of work. Lets hook up in the spring for an event cause I want to get faster and you are the man to help.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:35 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Great driving!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:31 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
No go for me for NNJR, can't take any more days off of work this year I used them all on for our Europe / Nurburgring trip. Well worth it but sucks I have literally no more days off of work. Lets hook up in the spring for an event cause I want to get faster and you are the man to help.
No problem Andy. Lets hook up next year sometime and go have some fun.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Nice tidy laps. I would agree with a little time in the Esses. Once someone is flat through 2, the new goal is to minimize steering inputs and have lower lateral G force to allow you to gain more speed up the hill.

There is also time on the (through the middle and) exit of 8.

Nice driving.

Quick Reply: WGI - 996 GT3 - squiggly lines