Apex Pro Digital Driving Coach Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Props to Apex for looking after the early adopters!
Yep. Great folks!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-30-2017, 04:31 PM
apextrackcoach
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will most certainly help out anyone with a non-GPS unit.

If you all haven't seen it already, we've added custom track creation as a feature on the latest app update. Check it out when you have the chance!
Old 10-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter or Matt-

Do you think this would be beneficial to a person still getting use to Aerodynamics and the secondary effects (Braking with downforce at high speed).
Old 10-28-2017, 03:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Plavan
Peter or Matt-

Do you think this would be beneficial to a person still getting use to Aerodynamics and the secondary effects (Braking with downforce at high speed).
Yes. It will help with "attack" (or rise time of decel) and "sustain" (braking decel at capacity), as the d/f bleeds off.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Peter or Matt-

I'll send you a pm later tonight.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 PM
arains44
Advanced

Hey folks for those interested in going more in-depth with some APEX related content, check this out!

I plan to do more of these for specific tracks, please let me know your thoughts and if this is helpful to you or not.

The post-session heat map is essentially displaying what the device was showing in real time. I find this very helpful when coaching students, as I can get a real feel for if they're pushing the the car or not immediately.

Something I commonly ask drivers' to think about is the track surface itself, does it bank, crest, or have some inconsistency to it? I find that genuinely fast drivers analyze the track very well, and learn to work with the track!
Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Good stuff, Andrew! I'd love to see an extended version of this talk that goes around the whole track turn by turn.

I don't know if it's possible for your videos here, but I've found it helpful to see the in-car LED display and the color track map at the same time (hmm, could the app show that somehow on the session review display too...even better!) to help build that connection between the post-review and what you are looking for real-time on the track.

Oh, and how did you get the map to zoom?? Am I just doing it wrong or are you taunting us with an unreleased version??
Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Just grabbed one from Peter. Looking forward to checking it out at Schnellfest/cota
Old 11-06-2017, 10:21 AM
arains44
Advanced

Good stuff, Andrew! I'd love to see an extended version of this talk that goes around the whole track turn by turn.

I don't know if it's possible for your videos here, but I've found it helpful to see the in-car LED display and the color track map at the same time (hmm, could the app show that somehow on the session review display too...even better!) to help build that connection between the post-review and what you are looking for real-time on the track.

Oh, and how did you get the map to zoom?? Am I just doing it wrong or are you taunting us with an unreleased version??
Hey Mark, I like that idea for a video. I'll keep that one in mind...

On the zoom feature, you should have the zoom functionality. I'v checked things from our end and our app is setup to zoom for all iOS 10+ devices. I've seen two or three customer's phones now that won't allow them to zoom on the heat maps. I would go to settings (main home screen on iPhone) > General > Accessibility > Zoom and change settings there and try zooming on the map.

Another option is the screen shot the heat map you'd like to look at more closely, and then Zoom once it's saved as a picture.

More Heat Map analysis to come!
Old 11-06-2017, 05:11 PM
arains44
Advanced

I'll plan on doing one in the future going turn by turn. If anyone is interested in sending me APEX heat maps and in-car video I'd be happy to use theirs' as an example as well.

Inertial modelling is really cool, and the tech is only going to get better! I like all of these ideas... On the Zoom feature, I found out recently that it is phone related. Our iOS app enables the zooming since an update we did this summer. Anyone with the App on iOS 10+ equipped devices should be able to zoom. I would try going to Settings>General>Accessibility> Zoom and try messing with some of those settings and see if it changes it in the app. If not, then take a screen shot, view it as a photo, and zoom that way.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:59 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arains44
I'll plan on doing one in the future going turn by turn. If anyone is interested in sending me APEX heat maps and in-car video I'd be happy to use theirs' as an example as well.
Well, gee, I'll volunteer here's a lap of mine with the device shown (this is the one you linked on your site, btw):
Here's the session review screen that goes with it:

That's with the device on "intermediate" settings if that makes a difference by the way.
Inertial modelling is really cool, and the tech is only going to get better! I like all of these ideas...
Miniaturization is making all sorts of things more accessible and affordable. This tech has come a long way from mechanical gyros and chunky RLG's
On the Zoom feature, I found out recently that it is phone related. Our iOS app enables the zooming since an update we did this summer. Anyone with the App on iOS 10+ equipped devices should be able to zoom. I would try going to Settings>General>Accessibility> Zoom and try messing with some of those settings and see if it changes it in the app. If not, then take a screen shot, view it as a photo, and zoom that way.
Hmm, ok. I have an iPhone 6 plus (until my X gets here! ) running iOS 11.1...no zoom in-app for me. If I use the 3-finger tap zoom gesture I can get the zoom window gadget to work but that's not apparently the same thing as your video shows. As you say, not a big deal since there are other workarounds and frankly since zooming doesn't seem to increase the resolution of the data displayed (or not much at least; zooming to get more rez _would_ be nice though! ) this seems like a minor thing...I just mentioned it above more because I wondered what _else_ you might have added in a new version if that zooming was a function of an updated app
Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Well, gee, I'll volunteer here's a lap of mine with the device shown (this is the one you linked on your site, btw):

That's with the device on "intermediate" settings if that makes a difference by the way.
Mark, AWESOME video!

Jack it up to Advanced or Expert (I can't remember the level name). Then, the resolution will be finer.

GREAT use of the tech.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:06 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Mark, I have been playing with the scenes, and I can get the overlay masking issue to stop. I don't recall the exact ordering, but it's possible to stop it with the latest firmware / scene editor.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:18 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Mark, I have been playing with the scenes, and I can get the overlay masking issue to stop. I don't recall the exact ordering, but it's possible to stop it with the latest firmware / scene editor.
Aha! That's good -- there are only a few possible orderings there so knowing it can be done I should be able to repeat what you did -- thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-09-2017, 03:13 PM
arains44
Advanced

Hey Mark, about the post the video with a heat map analysis of your lap. It's a little longer than I intended but I got really into it.

I also asked fellow APEX team member Robby Foley to chime in as well. He's a good friend and has lots of experience with Cayman variants. I'll post his input in a separate post shortly.

Quick Reply: Apex Pro Digital Driving Coach Review