Notices

RS2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Default RS2 Questions

When I overlay two or more laps on the Measures Graph I automatically get a "time delta" graph at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes this is useful and sometimes it is just taking up room on the screen. Is there a way to turn this off and on? After much trial and error I finally have the Calculated Gear operating properly. I'm trying to find the optimal shift point from 4th to 5th at the top of the esses at Watkins Glen and have some data where I "Short Shift" or run 4th to redline. Is Calculated Gear accurate enough to use in this decision? Is there another way?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

To turn off the time compare, click the wrench button top right of the measures window. Then uncheck the box for time compare. This is also where you turn the channel tags, min/max, and average information on and off.

For gear, you can do it in the car or with a math channel. The one that AiM uses is

gear(ECU_RPM, GPS_Speed, 1, 4)

You have to make sure your channel names are put in the above formula. They should come out the same and are easy to check when you compare them to the RPM graph.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
When I overlay two or more laps on the Measures Graph I automatically get a "time delta" graph at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes this is useful and sometimes it is just taking up room on the screen. Is there a way to turn this off and on? After much trial and error I finally have the Calculated Gear operating properly. I'm trying to find the optimal shift point from 4th to 5th at the top of the esses at Watkins Glen and have some data where I "Short Shift" or run 4th to redline. Is Calculated Gear accurate enough to use in this decision? Is there another way?
How are you actually analyzing whether it's better to run to redline or short shift?
Old 07-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm overlaying the speed graph with laps where I short shifted vrs running to redline.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

any conclusions yet?

My gut says redline for your car should always be better for two reasons: (1) torque multiplication of transmission (1.13 vs 0.95) should give you ~25% more torque to the wheels by staying in 4 longer and (2) the additional hp at redline assuming your car is not seeing a large drop off prior to RL. HP = mass x acceleration x velocity. So all things being equal (velocity is the same for both gears at instant of shift) then acceleration is maximum at higher HP.

I have an E46 M3, but RWHP and ratios seem to be very similar for our cars (with my power mods). My redline is 8200 and I was hitting 7800 (113 mph) just before 3. I shifted there because I didn't want to take my hands off wheel again in the esses themselves.

I have AIM data that I'd be willing to exchange with you.

Denis

Quick Reply: RS2 Questions