Notices

Hairline scratches in clear coat - agate grey

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 02:59 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hairline scratches in clear coat - agate grey

In her excitement, my friend's Labrador jumped up on my passenger door as I was leaving his place. Luckily he had her on a leash and was able to pull her off as soon as she jumped; she was not able to put her paws on the car multiple times.

Unfortunately once I got home I found 3-4 hairline scratches in the paint. My 911.1 is agate grey. The scratches are just in the clear coat; I can't feel them when I gently run my thumbnail over them. They are on the passenger side door so, despite being minor, they are noticeable in the right light. And like most of you on this forum I'm kinda obsessed with keeping my car as close to perfect as possible, so I am going to do something about these scratches.

I tried to take pictures of the scratches but couldn't get them to show up with my phone's camera.

So far: I gently washed the area and tried some wax (Meguiar's). Helped maybe a bit, but not much if at all.

I just ordered Meguiar's scratch kit (
Amazon Amazon
) but wanted to:

1. See if the community has any other feedback on what I should do to fix this. Is the best next step the Meguiar's scratch kit like I plan?
2. If it doesn't work, what should I do -- go to my local Porsche repair shop? (I have been going to TRE up in Van Nuys)

Thanks all.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:35 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 595 Likes on 392 Posts

Since you purchasing(ed?) that, I'm guessing you'll try it. I wouldn't use a drill, as pictured, but to each their own. I would use their product but use it by hand or a random orbit type polisher if you have one, if you bought it.

There are several products you can try to get the scratches out. Menzerna is my favorite brand, although there a tons of others. I would suggest finding a friend with some of these cutting/polishing compounds and start with the lightest (less aggressive) ones and working backwards until you see positive results. Then you'll have to re-wax/protect/ceramic that spot that you corrected. It seems silly to spend a ton of money and have a ton of products, unless you're going to do the entire car AND you have someone close that has the products already and can share.

I'm guessing you don't have PPF on the car's door?
Old 02-12-2023, 03:46 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PHX
Since you purchasing(ed?) that, I'm guessing you'll try it. I wouldn't use a drill, as pictured, but to each their own. I would use their product but use it by hand or a random orbit type polisher if you have one, if you bought it.

There are several products you can try to get the scratches out. Menzerna is my favorite brand, although there a tons of others. I would suggest finding a friend with some of these cutting/polishing compounds and start with the lightest (less aggressive) ones and working backwards until you see positive results. Then you'll have to re-wax/protect/ceramic that spot that you corrected. It seems silly to spend a ton of money and have a ton of products, unless you're going to do the entire car AND you have someone close that has the products already and can share.

I'm guessing you don't have PPF on the car's door?
Given how minor the scratches are I wasn't going to use the drill to start, just elbow grease.

Unfortunately none of my buddies are car-guys, so I'm on my own with this one.

No PFF to my awareness. (Just bought the car a few months ago).
Old 02-12-2023, 04:32 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

I'm guessing that Meguiar's product would not be aggressive at all. (which is good)Post some pics when you can, that will help. What color car? I can't see a dog scratching too deeply in to the clear coat.

To answer your other question...I would use a Porsche car center as the last resort. I'm sure there are some detailing shops/guys near you that could help at a better value than heading the Porsche direction.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:51 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PHX
I'm guessing that Meguiar's product would not be aggressive at all. (which is good)Post some pics when you can, that will help. What color car? I can't see a dog scratching too deeply in to the clear coat.

To answer your other question...I would use a Porsche car center as the last resort. I'm sure there are some detailing shops/guys near you that could help at a better value than heading the Porsche direction.
Color: agate grey.
Pics: I'll try again. When I tried last night I couldn't get them to show.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:23 AM
scr1244
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 246 Posts

I found several faint scratches about 2 feet long on the right rear quarter panel of my 991.1S. My guess is they were from bushes close to the roadway. After a little research I bought Mother’s California Gold scratch remover. It worked beyond my expectations. Highly recommend.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:35 AM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scr1244
I found several faint scratches about 2 feet long on the right rear quarter panel of my 991.1S. My guess is they were from bushes close to the roadway. After a little research I bought Mother’s California Gold scratch remover. It worked beyond my expectations. Highly recommend.
Glad to hear that. If the stuff I ordered doesn't work I'll look into this next. Thank you

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2023, 12:25 PM
awahl63
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Scratch X is fine for hand polishing. Be prepared to put some work in to it to remove the scratches. Luckily, you can't over do it polishing by hand with Scratch X.

It's great that you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail; however, it may be too difficult to remove by hand.

If you don't want to DIY, I would HIGHLY recommend a talented detailer before a Porsche repair shop. The repair shop would farm the work out to a detailer most likely.

If you do want to DIY, I'd recommend a dual action polisher so you can polish your whole car yourself. Let us know how the Scratch X works and we can go from there.

If you were in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, I would be happy to help and provide guidance in person.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:22 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by awahl63
Scratch X is fine for hand polishing. Be prepared to put some work in to it to remove the scratches. Luckily, you can't over do it polishing by hand with Scratch X.

It's great that you can't feel the scratch with your fingernail; however, it may be too difficult to remove by hand.

If you don't want to DIY, I would HIGHLY recommend a talented detailer before a Porsche repair shop. The repair shop would farm the work out to a detailer most likely.

If you do want to DIY, I'd recommend a dual action polisher so you can polish your whole car yourself. Let us know how the Scratch X works and we can go from there.

If you were in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, I would be happy to help and provide guidance in person.
Appreciate that sir. I'll keep the thread updated for everyone to track.
The following users liked this post:
awahl63 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:08 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StimmyGaroppolo
Appreciate that sir. I'll keep the thread updated for everyone to track.
Road trip through PHX and then to Florida...we will get it looking sharp again.
awahl63 (02-16-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 05:09 PM
StimmyGaroppolo
Intermediate

All,

Apologies for the delayed update:

About a week after my post the ScratchX arrived, I went ahead and took care of the scratch.

The process was quite simple: I went to a self-service car wash to remove all the dust and dirt, then drove home (under a mile away). From there I followed the ScratchX instructions, minus the use of a power drill; I simply held the drill attachment they provide and applied elbow grease. It took 2-3 applications but sure enough the scratches are now completely undetectable.

All that said, can't speak highly enough of the ScratchX.

Sorry I don't have any pictures to share. I attempted to take some but could not get them to show up using my iphone, which is a testament to how subtle they were.
PHX (03-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Hairline scratches in clear coat - agate grey