Notices

Rock Chip Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rock Chip Protection

I will be attending in September the Porsche event Treffen Asheville. While the roads in NC are fun to drive my 13 C2S will be exposed to rock chips. I do not have a clear bra and I do not want one. I am looking for good temporary protection. Leather bra comes to mind but I don't really like the look. Would placing several layers of sealant on the front help? Suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:28 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I will be attending in September the Porsche event Treffen Asheville. While the roads in NC are fun to drive my 13 C2S will be exposed to rock chips. I do not have a clear bra and I do not want one. I am looking for good temporary protection. Leather bra comes to mind but I don't really like the look. Would placing several layers of sealant on the front help? Suggestions would be appreciated.
Just use painters tape and tape off all exposed areas you'd like to protect. Once at your destination , remove

I've seen many exotic cars go through road testing or cross country doing this.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:13 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Xpel sell rolls of clear, temporary, track protection wrap. It’s about a foot wide and extra thick so it provides great rock protection. You just slap it on the hood, bumper etc. It doesn’t stretch as much as the expensive regular PPf so it will be a little wrinkly and the adhesive is less aggressive so it peels off easily. The rolls are 40 feet long so one roll will do your car several times.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:59 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks everyone. Great advice.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:03 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Roads around Asheville are much better than one might think. Generally you will not be exposed to a ton of rocks or debris on the road. Most are two lane blacktop, the runoff however can have rock and debris.

As said, buy a clear bra kit that matches your car. Self install, it will look OK. Enjoy the drive and then pull off the bra. Easy enough.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:36 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Why not go with PPF? The new products when installed by a professional are practically invisible to the eye. Just make sure you get full coverage. Mine has saved the front end of my car and mirrors numerous times over the past 6 years. I will be replacing it soon as it's starting to show its age but that is expected.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks Marine Blue. I have had several Porsche's with PPF. I like to detail my cars and would rather work on clear coat/paint than film/clear coat/paint. I am very conscious about rock chips and drive in a way to avoid them. I have been lucky, in 4 years and 36K miles, I have had only 1 chip, it being on the painted lower front spoiler lip, and I was able to fix it with Dr. Chip.

Quick Reply: Rock Chip Protection