Notices

Getting Started - What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:21 AM
Kaenned
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Started - What do I need?

Hi Porsche Detailing Experts

I recently bought my first Porsche - a 944S from 1987 with just 28K miles on the clock. It's in absolutely immaculate condition and obviously I want to keep it that way, but it's been stored for many years, so paintwork needs a thorough cleaning and likely an easy polish to buff out tiny scratches, and just generally get it shiny again.
As this is my first car worth taking good care of, I never really had to worry about those kinds of things so there's a lot for me to learn here. I've made a list of products that I'm planning to get, but have I missed something here? Also, any links to thorough guides on how to do this is much appreciated. I've seen and read a lot already, but I always want to learn more

My current shopping list is this:

Two buckets
5 Microfiber cloths
A microfiber towel (are they needed when I have the cloths or..? Should I get two?)
2 Kent Noodle Wash Mits
MJJC Foam Lance for Nilfisk
Autoglym Pressure Wash 5 ltr
Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care (for trim and rubber spoiler)
Wax of some sort?
Rim cleaner

I think this is what I need to get started?
In the future I will purchase:
Clay bar
Autoglym Perfect Wheel Cleaner kit
Wheel brush
Autoglym Leather Clean and Protect Kit

For the polish I'll borrow a Mirka machine and some 3M polish from work for the job. I realize these are not premium products, but my objective is not to run a Concourse car, but keeping it beautiful and well-maintained. The Autoglym is a brand I know and it reasonably priced. As I just bought the car i'm doing it with costs in mind, but will probably upgrade the products a long the way. Have you guys got any suggestions for things I'm missing or suggestions for products I should use instead?

Sorry for the long post. Hope you can help
Old 03-07-2017, 08:17 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

The list of
Washing and cleaning supplies is good, but it really comes down to good paint prep. All the care in the world won't matter if care is not taken with the polishing process.

Be sure the Mirka you use is an orbital not rotary. Rotary can quickly damage the paint without good skill. Pads are very important as is the polish. Start with the least aggressive pad and polish combination you need to remove halos and step up to more aggressive as needed. Your paint may also be soft single stage...especially is guards red....so go easy. Care and attention at this stage will make all the difference.

Quick Reply: Getting Started - What do I need?