Notices

Clear bra wrapped under headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:09 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Clear bra wrapped under headlights?

I am about to get a new 981 Spyder and I am planning to put full front clear bra on it (I am aware of pro/cons, but I hate rock chips more than the plastic).

One installer whom I used in the past on other vehicles with great results recommended against removing the headlights and wrapping the film there. He mentioned risk of the damage to film due to vibrations present there. Also he mentioned tolerances being "too close" (I am not sure if he was implying water leak risk).

Another shop in the area that apparently has a great reputation seems to be putting the film under the headlights.

What is your experience?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
I am about to get a new 981 Spyder and I am planning to put full front clear bra on it (I am aware of pro/cons, but I hate rock chips more than the plastic).

One installer whom I used in the past on other vehicles with great results recommended against removing the headlights and wrapping the film there. He mentioned risk of the damage to film due to vibrations present there. Also he mentioned tolerances being "too close" (I am not sure if he was implying water leak risk).

Another shop in the area that apparently has a great reputation seems to be putting the film under the headlights.

What is your experience?
Congrats on the soon to be new 981 Spyder!

We always encourage removing the headlights on Porsche when possible. When we install film at our XPEL shops, we remove the headlights and wrap the film inside to prevent visible seams. There should be no reason to worry about wrapping into the open headlight buckets.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Headlights removed and No issues on mine after 5 years. It sounds like an excuse no to take the lights out to me.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Headlights removed and No issues on mine after 5 years. It sounds like an excuse no to take the lights out to me.
They're actually very easy to remove, with the supplied headlight tool from Porsche. They come out within 5 minutes typically.

A side note, we've seen on the '17 models that unless you remove the bumper to get access to a headlight clip/tab, they will not come out. So if your's is a 2017, that would make sense.

Last edited by XPEL; 05-26-2016 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-26-2016, 01:06 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

The Spyder is 2016.

So now I have a dilemma: go to guy I used before with great results who does not recommend doing that, or to go to new place that does that. The latter place has a good reputation apparently so I guess I can't go too wrong.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:12 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by unclemat
The Spyder is 2016.

So now I have a dilemma: go to guy I used before with great results who does not recommend doing that, or to go to new place that does that. The latter place has a good reputation apparently so I guess I can't go too wrong.
PM the installers information and I can have a sales rep reach out to him and let him know its just fine to remove headlamps, as it provides a cleaner/seamless installation

Quick Reply: Clear bra wrapped under headlights?