Notices

Clay for White Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Clay for White Paint

Used my Griot's (standard yellow-colored) clay bar on my new white Spyder and was displeased to find yellow clay bits / residue on the edges of my Xpel clear bra. Thankfully, the installer did a good job of wrapping edges, but there are still plenty of them.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking maybe a good white clay? Meguiar's has one -- anyone try it?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:35 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

You need to really flood the exposed Xpel edge with detailer spray to keep the clay from getting stuck on the edge. If there is a dry spot any type or color of clay will ‘stick’ and little bits will get stuck to the car. In difficult spots with really set in dirt you must really work the clay to grab onto the contaminants. If the detailer isn’t working well, I sometimes switch to concentrated auto wash soapy water to lubricate the clay to see if that will help get the edge clean.

Any time bits of clay are getting torn off and sticking to the car, it’s always a lubrication problem, not a clay bar problem.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jennifer911
You need to really flood the exposed Xpel edge with detailer spray to keep the clay from getting stuck on the edge. If there is a dry spot any type or color of clay will ‘stick’ and little bits will get stuck to the car. In difficult spots with really set in dirt you must really work the clay to grab onto the contaminants. If the detailer isn’t working well, I sometimes switch to concentrated auto wash soapy water to lubricate the clay to see if that will help get the edge clean.

Any time bits of clay are getting torn off and sticking to the car, it’s always a lubrication problem, not a clay bar problem.
Interesting that you mention that. I always coat the surface thoroughly, but in this case, my detail spray bottle wasn't working, so I used Griot's spray-on wax instead. Never tried it before, but may very well explain the result. Will experiment on a spot and report back.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Auto Elegance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheStrong
Used my Griot's (standard yellow-colored) clay bar on my new white Spyder and was displeased to find yellow clay bits / residue on the edges of my Xpel clear bra. Thankfully, the installer did a good job of wrapping edges, but there are still plenty of them.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking maybe a good white clay? Meguiar's has one -- anyone try it?
As an experienced installer I would like to lend my recommendations. You can use any clay you want. Regardless of color any clay left in the edge will collect dirt and grime. Once the clay has collected dirt and grime it will turn black be noticeable and most likely scratch the car when attempting to remove.

Your best bet is to avoid the clay from sticking to the edge to begin with. To do this I recommend using a "hard tape" or "fine line tape". This will also save you from wasting your expensive lubricant and flooding the work surface unnecessarily. That tape is also excellent when compounding, polishing or waxing your car. It will prevent any of the mentioned products from building up on the edge.

I do not endorse any particular brand but this is the product you'll want to use.
Link -> http://3mcollision.com/products/mask...e-masking-tape
The 1/8-1/4" width tape should be big enough all you need to do it just cover the edge.

Hope the information is helpful. Thank You and Goodluck.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nanoskin Surface Prep Towel

This advanced polymerized rubber technology is the next generation of surface preparation and has made a huge impact in paint finish care because it removes oxidation and allows the paint to remain healthy, longer. Applying a coating over a paint finish does not stop oxidation; it only slows it down. The surface prep towel works fast and achieves professional results with its advanced technology.

The surface prep towel was developed as a method of removing surface contamination beyond what can be removed by washing, by using an abrasive to ‘shear’ the particulate at surface level; but like all abrasives it will leave surface scratches that may require removal by polishing

Towel abrasives ratings 1/10 - Medium (Blue) 6/10, Fine (Grey) 4 /10

This 12 x 12- inch towel quickly, easily and safely removes paint over-spray, rail dust, brake dust, industrial pollution and other bonded surface contaminants from automotive paint, glass, mouldings and plastic.

Works with your favourite surface lubricant product (see Towel Lubricant), is easily cleaned by simply rinsing off the accumulated contaminants with water. If you drop the towel on the ground, just rinse the towel with clean water and you're ready to keep using it.

After lubricating the towel, fold into quarters; always ensure that the towel surfaces are properly lubricated, including the towel surface you're using, the surface your hand is on and the surface that are folded onto each other. Without adequate lubrication the polymers will adhere to each other and the paint surface leave behind debris.

Quick Reply: Clay for White Paint