Notices

HELP! my seats are cracking on my 86 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Harman3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! my seats are cracking on my 86 Cabriolet

I have an 86 Carrera Cabriolet and the seats are cracking. Also the driver's side is beginning to come apart where I slide into the cockpit.

New $900-$1,800 seats are not an option for my budget.
Any suggestions for economic alternative? Should I buy some seat covers? If so, where and what kind?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

This is why I put leather conditioner on very often. I figure having them supple helps a little.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 PM
dcamco
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some leatherique on there stat. It will help a ton.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:35 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Connolly used a solid pigment mixed with cellulose lacquer coating on the leather, essentially sealing the leather, making it almost impossible for leather treatments to penetrate past the surface. One of the problems with cellulose lacquer coating is that they tend to dry out and become inflexible

This is the niche market sector that oil-based products like Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil, Pristine Clean and Connolly Hide Food were originally formulated for.

Connolly Hide Food was specifically developed by the Connolly Leather Company to help keep the nitro-cellulose finishes they used then supple to stop them cracking, not the leather. However, once the finishes have worn off, this is the porous hide itself exposed and the lanoline, white spirit and wax it contains will only rot the leather further. As it was originally synthetic oil, not wax that was originally added to the hide, during tanning which has dried out, this need to be reapplied.

Quick Reply: HELP! my seats are cracking on my 86 Cabriolet