Notices

Pressure washer? Foam cannon? etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts
Default Pressure washer? Foam cannon? etc...

I'm contemplating buying a hose end foam gun, or a pressure washer with a foam "cannon"... Clearly these are two very different options with different abilities and price points, but the obvious overlap is in the carwash category (actually, the only thing the foam gun is good for, as I don't have a boat). I suppose the big question in my mind is whether the hose end foam gun is useful at all, or just a waste of money (i.e. I'll wind up buying the pressure washer anyway after the first unsatisfactory use). The other question would be, if using a pressure washer on things besides the wheels, what is the recommended pressure? Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2016, 11:16 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just purchased Adam's new foam gun and have used it once so far. Although I own a pressure washer, I opted for the foam gun and not the cannon. I know the cannon engulfs the car better than the foam gun, but I didn't want to pull out even more equipment to wash the car since, really, neither is necessary in the wash process. I have quick connects on everything so it is easy to use. Having said all that, I like it. It places a fair amount of foam on the car which clings pretty well. I like the fact that the foam is working on the dirt and lubricating the car surface. With foam on the car I can clean it entirely without stopping to rinse until the end. Go to Adam's website and view the video on the foam gun. It accurately shows how much foam lands on the car. To see the cannon work, go to Obsessedgarage.com for Matt's demo.

Hope this helps. BTW, I am a clean freak when it comes to my car, and I enjoy the process.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 AM
DAlex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both. The cannon is far better. I use it with the Kranzle pressure washer. I bought both from Phil at Detailer's Domain and have not regretted either purchase. The Kranzle is just right for the car but not really suitable for other things. I have a gas powered pressure washer for other around the house chores. Buy the cannon the Kranzle. It makes washing faster, better and more fun.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the perspective guys - exactly what I was looking for! I went ahead and bought a pressure washer, since I had some other stuff around the house I could use it for. So, I'll go ahead and get the foam cannon as well. This being said, I can see getting a hose end "foam gun" in the future when I get tired of dragging the pressure washer out for every car wash ... (maybe just every other...)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot depends on your water hose pressure. I have low pressure at my hose bib, so I opt for the pressure washer foam cannon. I also like to use the pressure washer to clean anyway, so it just makes sense for me to go with the cannon. It also lays down a thick layer that clings better to me than the foam gun.

HUMP
Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

My pressure from the hose is pretty good, but I just thought I'd probably be disappointed with the hose end gun and wind up having to buy a pressure washer anyway...So, I bit the bullet and went for the single big purchase instead of the incremental draining of the wallet (as if it's not going to happen anyway )
Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought both the soap gun and the foam cannon. The latter is leaps and bounds better. The cannon cakes the car in foam, versus just soapy water out of the gun. While I was resistant to the idea of having to pull out the pressure washer (and a little scared to use it on the car), it makes the process faster and more enjoyable. Instead of a heavy, overpowered gas pressure washer, I picked up a cheap electric one (Greenworks 1600 psi, $100).
Old 05-27-2016, 11:25 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My Kranzle pressure washer just arrived today. Yes its expensive but its quiet and actually has a great soft rubber hose (German engineering). No more plastic-like hose's that have a mind of their own and are impossible to spool.

Interestingly Staples on-line has the K1122TST for $937 with free shipping which is at least $200 cheaper than any other seller.

This unit is perfect for Auto detailing and a great match for the foam Cannon.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2016, 12:14 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, the Kranzle looks awesome! Unfortunately, a little out of my budget range. I wound up getting a gas powered pressure washer (Simpson Aluminum 3200) - It's loud and a bit unwieldy (yeah that plastic hose sucks) but it works very well. I also wound up getting an inexpensive ($30) foam cannon from Ebay. It works great. I haven't found my "go to" wash/shampoo yet, but all three that I've used so far all worked well - no I'm not nuts, I had 1 bottle that was almost empty [Meguires yellow stuff], so I finished that off, my Son had some soap that he got as a gift [BMW stuff], and I just picked up a bottle of Barrett Jackson Blue [$7.00] at Walmart!] that also seems to work well. If the $30 cannon breaks anytime soon, I may spend a little more, but it seems sturdy enough (all brass valve/connection area) to make it through the season.

Quick Reply: Pressure washer? Foam cannon? etc...