Notices

Removing scratches on PPF

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Removing scratches on PPF

I found some medium scratches on the bumper of my 997. The car has Suntek ppf (at least that's what I paid to have installed) and I've tried many things to remove scratches but no luck.

I tried using a white Lake Country pad with Meg's ultimate polish, Wolfgang total swirl remover and Meg's ultimate compound. The scratches are still there. I even tried alcohol and applying heat.

Is it safe to go with a cutting pad and increase the speed on my DA? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:38 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Minor scratches - similar to a scratch in the paint, depending on how deep the scratch is will depend on how well you can remove it by polishing.
Tape the edges of the paint protection film. The thing that makes PPF so good at resisting stone chips and damage can make it somewhat difficult to detail. It’s not a hard cured surface like paint, it’s slightly pliable this means it can take two or three extra stages of correction and refinement. There are a multitude of different makes of paint film, so I would suggest you check their recommendations first, failing that proceed with the listed methodology. I strongly suggest if you’re not sure or confident it’s best to perform a test on an inconspicuous area first

Most minor scratches in the film can be removed using a dual-action machine polisher and a Lake County Black foam pad. I wouldn’t go above speed #4.0 - 5.0 Follow up with a few light passes on speed #3.0 – 3.5. Obviously, don't let anything get hot and don't go for 100% correction - 90% is achievable. PPF is flexible, so the film is likely "dented" where there is a scratch. You probably won't achieve 100% removal. And if you try - disaster is eminent

Note: Deep scratches are probably beyond the expertise of an enthusiast detailer and should only be attempted by a professional

Alternative - Novus Plastic Scratch Remover with a Lake County Black foam pad using speed # 4.

Last edited by TOGWT; 11-30-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:46 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the detailed response!

I'll give it a try. I think I actually have a black LC pad laying around. If that doesn't work I'll try the novus scratch remover!
Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Dan@AQS
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just keep in mind the self healing top coat is only so thick. It is about .5 mils on XPel Ultimate film. You'll be fine with a cutting pad on your DA though.
Old 11-30-2015, 02:09 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Good to know thank you. I'll go easy!

Quick Reply: Removing scratches on PPF