Notices

Dirty Air and Detail Spray

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion nothing replaces rinsing, foaming, rinsing, two bucket washing and drying with leaf blower or master blaster to follow with waffle weave towel by just placing it on the paint to absorb the water then quick detail with plush microfiber and finally quick liquid wax like Meguyars.

I would never use a quick detail or ONR on a dusty car. I rather rinse the paint and leave water spots to be taken out later when I wash the car. The only time that I would use quick detail or APC is to spot clean tree sap or bird droppins.

But this is just my and my OCD ways.

Last edited by trucheli; 10-07-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm a bit surprised that so many are against using a QD and a Plush microfiber to wipe down a car after a drive.

Several years ago I drove my 928GT from South Eastern MA to Long Island to compete in a concours. When I arrived in Long Island I did my usual external wipe down that I do after every drive which included:

- California Duster
- Compressed air to remove any heavy dust areas (used a can of compressed air)
- Wipe down all painted surfaces with QD and plush microfibers.
- Wiped down glass with my homemade cleaner and glass microfiber

The car sat outside without a cover all night and in the morning I had to wipe down some of the dew, I did that and my usual wipe down and took 1st place that day. The car never had a swirl on it and it stayed that way until the day I sold it.

Fast forward nearly 5 years into ownership of my Spyder which has literally been washed 4 times in 11,000 miles and it also doesn't have a single swirl using the same technique as above. Anyone who has seen my cars can vouch that I'm about as **** and perfectionist as they get when it comes to keeping a car perfect. I could easily take second in most concours without prepping beyond my usual wipe down and I have done that on a few occasions when coaxed into it. IMHO washing with water leaves a much higher possibility of problems due to water spots and it is also much more difficult to control than a wipe down with QD. You simply need to be careful and use common sense. My two cents
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm a bit surprised that so many are against using a QD and a Plush microfiber to wipe down a car after a drive.

Several years ago I drove my 928GT from South Eastern MA to Long Island to compete in a concours. When I arrived in Long Island I did my usual external wipe down that I do after every drive which included:

- California Duster
- Compressed air to remove any heavy dust areas (used a can of compressed air)
- Wipe down all painted surfaces with QD and plush microfibers.
- Wiped down glass with my homemade cleaner and glass microfiber

The car sat outside without a cover all night and in the morning I had to wipe down some of the dew, I did that and my usual wipe down and took 1st place that day. The car never had a swirl on it and it stayed that way until the day I sold it.

Fast forward nearly 5 years into ownership of my Spyder which has literally been washed 4 times in 11,000 miles and it also doesn't have a single swirl using the same technique as above. Anyone who has seen my cars can vouch that I'm about as **** and perfectionist as they get when it comes to keeping a car perfect. I could easily take second in most concours without prepping beyond my usual wipe down and I have done that on a few occasions when coaxed into it. IMHO washing with water leaves a much higher possibility of problems due to water spots and it is also much more difficult to control than a wipe down with QD. You simply need to be careful and use common sense. My two cents
It's all about technique, and yes, a good QD and now the outstanding Waterless Wash & Wax do an outstanding job. And... they allow for some of us to have a life.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:11 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Dirty Air and Detail Spray

Anyone who has seen my cars can vouch that I'm about as **** and perfectionist
I can attest to Afshin's cars...they are perfection.

Quick Reply: Dirty Air and Detail Spray