Notices

VRT/303 on Windows

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default VRT/303 on Windows

I treated the window and door seals with Aerospace 303. Problems is, now the treated seals leave residue on the inside perimeter of the door windows which is difficult to remove and decidedly unsightly. Any suggestions for keeping the seals treated in a way that they do not smudge the windows?

Thanks. D
Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

‘Rubber’ Seals

The seals on most vehicles are no longer made of natural rubber; vehicle manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM).

Natural rubber, or blends containing natural rubber, just cannot endure the direct exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet light) and the harmful-to-rubber oxidizing gases in our atmosphere.

The seals around the vehicles lights (headlights, brake and indicator lights, etc.) and the soft seals around doors, windows, sunroof’s, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. For maintenance use a product that contains glycerine to maintain the look and feel of the material

Periodically clean using
Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency

Protection – using 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger” for use on clean or pre-cleaned vinyl or rubber, it provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep exterior ‘rubber’ and vinyl looking like new.

Ultra violet (UV) protection is a sacrificial / renewable component; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements (sun, sand, road or sea salt, and etc.) so it is imperative that you renew it and needs to be re-applied on a regular basis (dependent upon location climatic condition)

Alternative products-
1z einszett Gummi-Pflege for use on clean or pre-cleaned rubber, protection and durability measured in months, it has a little sponge on top of the bottle so you always get the right amount of product on your weather-stripping or rubber seals. Once applied to rubber they will take on a dark but natural shine. Use bi-annually to provide protection to avoid rubber from hardening or freezing.

Zymol Soft Seal Rubber Restorer - for use on clean or pre-cleaned soft seals, those around doors, hoods and boot lids, present a number of problems as they are constantly being flexed and crushed while being subjected to hostile environments. Zymol Seal is derived from glycerine, a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, which notably prolongs the useful life of rubber seals by releasing trapped solvents and restoring original moisture

Highly recommended

• Iz einzett Gummi Pflege (Rubber Care)
• Zymol Seal - a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking
• Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick - is silicone-free, biodegradable, and water repellent
Old 09-06-2015, 09:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hey Duke, I use the 303 on my rubber trim, too. No smudges here. One thing that I do, that may be helping is, when working in the garage, and doing the 303 treatment on the rubber window seals (maybe once per year during winter prep clean-up), I leave the doors opened over night (or even longer) as the 303 dries and cures.

*the interior lights do turn off at some point, and the car is on the battery maintainer
Old 09-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to you both.

May have been the VRT although I used both. Good suggestion on letting the 303 dry. LV: a reliable Porsche friend. Thanks again. D

Quick Reply: VRT/303 on Windows