Notices

Cleaning Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Cleaning Car Covers

Anyone ever clean their indoor car covers?

I think my indoor car cover as absorbed dust over time, I have put it in the dryer to try and get some air through it, but assume it still needs a better cleaning to not mar the cars finish. Any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:10 PM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Washing machine.

HUMP
Old 08-05-2015, 01:59 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tub with cold water and detergent.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've washed mine many times to keep it and my car clean...

Just wash it by itself in the family washing machine using unscented detergent (something you would use for microfiber towels) with a warm temp setting. Dry on low heat setting without any dryer sheets and it will come out clean and ready to use.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine is outdoor, but I drape it over the wife's beater pickup and give it a vigorous hosing down. Then repeat with cover inside out. Since this is the South, I park her truck on the lawn, so at least the grass gets watered during these steps. Then, I take the cover to a local laundromat and clean it with minimal amount of detergent in one of their plus-sized dryers. Leave it outside in the Texas sun, & it's dry in short order...T
Old 08-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks everyone
Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I've washed the Carnewal and Porsche covers in my washing machine. Both are indoor covers.

Light soap. Cold water. Gentle cycle. Extra rinse. Dry for about 10 minutes in dryer. Finish drying in house draped over a few chairs in basement.

Every year after winter hibernation.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 AM
ckarlos
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree on using a washing machine. Makes it easier to safely clean the cover.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:14 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I use the JUMBO Washer at the Local laundromat . Quick and easy.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cleaning – Maintenance / Care
Car cover fabric performance can be severely affected by dirt that builds up on and within the material. It can cause the windshield and paint to become dirty and fogged as well as create wicking where it actually helps pull water through the fabric, nullifying any water resistant properties the fabric may have had. Cleaning your cover will help to keep your vehicle clean and to increase the service life of the cover.

Some fabrics offer more heat insulation than others, simply because they are multi-layered and are more effective at keeping heat away from the vehicle surface, but any cover will help reduce the vehicle temperature on a hot day.

They are manufactured to be water-resistant, available in various breathable fabric materials for protection against most types of climatic conditions, as well as both long-term indoor or outdoor vehicle storage.

Commercial Washing Machine

• Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt
• Covers should be taken to a commercial Laundromat and washed in large automatic washers without agitator. Use Woolite® (no soap or detergent). Wash your cover using the "Normal" or "Permanent Press" cycles in cold or warm water. Do not wash in hot water.
• Put the cover through two rinse cycles - it is important that the entire cleaning solution be removed in order to preserve the cover's water resistance, and then air dry.
• Do not put the cover in an automatic heated dryer (the fabric can melt or shrink)
• Do not dry-clean covers as the chemicals used will negatively affect the fabric protection abilities and durability

Car Cover Cleaning and Care

• Use a soft Horse Hair brush and a vacuum to remove any loose dust or dirt
• Gently rinse cover with clean water
• Wash with a 5:1 clean water / Woolite solution, using a soft brush to loosen any stubborn dirt (Do not scrub surface (see Spots and Stains)
• Thoroughly rinse with clean water to remove soap solution
• Allow to thoroughly air-dry
• Apply 303™ High Tech Fabric Guard by spraying from approximately 6-inch above the surface with a side-to-side motion, dampen but do not saturate.
• Two applications will ensure complete coverage, allow air-drying between applications.
• Allow cover to dry before storage.
• The inside of a cover may also be cleaned by turning it inside-out on the vehicle and repeating the above steps
• Allow to thoroughly air-dry

RaggTopp Horse Hair Brush - this natural horse hair brush will not harm the finish of your cover. It’ nonabrasive and is incredibly soft, yet strong enough to get into the fibres and texture of your fabric cover. The design of the brush makes it easy to grip and gently scrub dirt and grime from your convertible top, car cover or other fabric and vinyl material like tonneau covers, vinyl awnings.

Notes – Do not

1. Clean a car cover in a washer with a centre agitator
2. Use fabric softener.
3. Dry a non-woven or specialty type cover in a dryer.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An article fromTOGWT Detailing Wiki Paint Protection Series " Vehicle Weather Protection Car Covers" -

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...ar-covers.html

Quick Reply: Cleaning Car Covers