Notices

Is there a cliffs notes for care car - down and dirty detailing protocol needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:24 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Is there a cliffs notes for care car - down and dirty detailing protocol needed

I havent detailed my own cars in years. I have been relatively disappointed in detail jobs in the sub $250 range. Anymore $$ and I would prefer to do it myself.

Can anyone offer me a quick an easy detailing protocol to follow, most of my paints are in very good shape. Years ago I would
1. wash with dishwashing soap to get all previous wax off
2. clay bar
3. polish
4. then finally finish coat, wax
5. Lexol and vinylex
6. any tire dressing
7.303 protectant

I remember using zaino bros. products(don't even know if this is still popular), but want some advice for good products with ease of application. I started to read and follow moneys posts and got dizzy...

I do have a porter cable orbital.

Last edited by osu s2k; 07-13-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

There are lots of technical videos explaining how to properly detail but it's impossible to know what is right and wrong unless you have had the experience and learned from true pros in person. You pay top dollar to a detailer for that exact reason, they have learned and spent a great deail of time honing their skills, choosing the right products and understanding the paints they are working with to insure good results. It's worth the money.

Having said that, if you want to learn I would suggest getting on a forum like Autopia and determining if there are any detailing seminars coming up in your area. You'll learn how to properly polish using the correct movements, the correct amount of pressure, amount of product to use, how long to work the product into the finish etc.

Why not pay a detailer to do it right and then figure out the basics of how to maintain the paint so it doesn't get any new swirls or scratches. A good detail should cost anywhere from $600 - 1200 depending on what you're having done. Similar to paying a mechanic to tear down your engine and rebuild it, it's not something you want to leave to the lowest cost unless you intend to repaint sooner than later.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:53 PM
glenn1d
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect there is no reason you can't expertly detail your own car. It's great therapy! You already have a Porter Cable. Detailed Image, Autopia, or Chemical Guys all have great websites with excellent tutorials. Your basic outline still works great. Nothing wrong with Zaino Bros. Basic idea:

Wash - dish soap not needed and probably not great for the rubber, etc.
Clay - easy to do and not to be skipped. There are some new products that are easier. Check out the websites above.
Polish - get an orange or green pad and have at it! Menzerna or Blackfire make variable strength polishes that are easy to use. Strength needed is determined by underlying paint condition. Start mild.
Wax - Sealant or carnuba is personal preference. New coatings last forever but not as much therapy! Blackfire (black ice)makes a combination product that is great.
Tires - multiple great products. Zaino Bros tire dressing is excellent.
Again, there is no reason to be afraid. Take your time and have fun. There is no risk and your car will look unbelievable.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I won't argue about the therapy part but I will respectfully disagree about the no risk part. Even a DA used incorrectly can cause irreversible damage.

In this instance it sounds like some lessons are needed by someone with experience. While videos can help explain the proper motion and some of the technique it can't explain the amount of pressure and time required to perform the work necessary.

I didn't learn by watching others, I learned by actually using a polisher with a pro standing next to me and explaining what I was doing right and what I was doing wrong. Like shooting a gun or playing golf. Practice doesn't necessarily make perfect if you don't know what is right or wrong.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM
glenn1d
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A true DA that essentially oscillates and doesn't have forced spin used with a modicum of common sense with a foam pad and a high quality polish will never damage the paint. Take the time to watch a demonstration and you'll be fine. The fear of polishers is from rotaries that can easily burn paint in inexperienced hands. I guess nothing is risk free but the results from using a DA polisher after years of hand work was a revelation. I'll stand by my belief that if you use a DA with a foam pad and a good polish you'll be amazed by the results and you'll never go back to hand car care. But the great part of forums is that you get lots of input.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:34 PM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glenn1d
A true DA that essentially oscillates and doesn't have forced spin used with a modicum of common sense with a foam pad and a high quality polish will never damage the paint. Take the time to watch a demonstration and you'll be fine. The fear of polishers is from rotaries that can easily burn paint in inexperienced hands. I guess nothing is risk free but the results from using a DA polisher after years of hand work was a revelation. I'll stand by my belief that if you use a DA with a foam pad and a good polish you'll be amazed by the results and you'll never go back to hand car care. But the great part of forums is that you get lots of input.
Any DA with a foam pad and any type of polish will abrade the surface, that is what a polish does. Given enough time, it will do damage.

HUMP
Old 11-25-2015, 11:45 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Glenn. Thank you. That is what i was looking for. Until i obtain a ferrari f40, i dont plan on paying $1000 for a detail for my lowly car collection. I dont doubt a professional detailer can do better, i just dont see the value in paying someone$100-200/ hour....i couldnt even make that kind of $ moonlighting
Old 11-26-2015, 08:41 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pay a professional to detail your vehicle and then maintain it.

Spend $80 -100 K on a vehicle and then skimp on its care - priceless
Old 11-26-2015, 09:09 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

It's all a matter of personal prefernece. As noted above, it's a therapy thing, and yes, even mere mortals can learn how to detail like a pro. At one point in time, the pro was a newbie at all this. I enjoy the process and I love the end results.
Big note: not all "pros" should be considered such. I learned to detail my own vehicles after catching a "pro" in the act of using rubbing compound on a new vehicle exceptionally nice paint. When I got there, he was working on removing the swirl marks he had created. He may regain consciousness some day.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I do have a porter cable orbital.
Even a PC with a foam pad can burn through clear coat if you are not careful
Old 11-26-2015, 10:19 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Pay a professional to detail your vehicle and then maintain it. Spend $80 -100 K on a vehicle and then skimp on its care - priceless
This!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing this for about the past 7-8 years now.

I can do all my own interior work. I can do all my washings and maintenance between major detailings. I even do a full wheels off cleaning before winter storage. I'm a past Concours winner. I just don't have the time and energy anymore to do the "heavy lifting". What time and energy I do have, I'd rather be carving back country roads.

So, every other year, I have a full paint correction and OptiCoat Pro. Pay about $1,200. One of the best checks I sign all year.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Pay a professional to detail your vehicle and then maintain it.

Spend $80 -100 K on a vehicle and then skimp on its care - priceless
+1

As noted, if you're an inexperienced mechanic would you attempt to perform a clutch or brake job? Unlikely, you'll gladly pay the mechanic to do it and it will take them 1.5 days to get it done to the tune of $1500 in labor.

Messing up paint isn't a cheap fix, if you burn through it you're only fix is to have the panel resprayed. Burn through a sharp edge on a panel (older 911 hoods come to mind) and you have a minimum $750 paint job and the risk that it won't match. Why risk that? Paint has just as much value as the mechanicals.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:22 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

My paints iwould classify as good to excellent. I took advantage of cyber monday sales and loaded up with clay, menezera polishes, glazes and new towels and a variety of pads for the pc. I will let you all know how itgoes. I didnt buy aggressive polishes and pads. I appreciate positive and negative advice given. I have time as we dig into the cold winter here in the midwest. My 930 paint is average and needs correcting soiwill betaking to a pro shop in town. Im not comfortable with this as it will require aggressive work
Old 12-05-2015, 02:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by osu s2k
My paints iwould classify as good to excellent. I took advantage of cyber monday sales and loaded up with clay, menezera polishes, glazes and new towels and a variety of pads for the pc. I will let you all know how itgoes. I didnt buy aggressive polishes and pads. I appreciate positive and negative advice given. I have time as we dig into the cold winter here in the midwest. My 930 paint is average and needs correcting soiwill betaking to a pro shop in town. Im not comfortable with this as it will require aggressive work
That makes sense. Start off with the less aggressive pad/polish combination first to get an idea of how much work you're doing on the paint. Make sure you tape off all of the trim/plastic around the paint to avoid burning them. Watch the edges, even a mild polish can burn through if you aren't careful.

Post some before/after pictures!

Quick Reply: Is there a cliffs notes for care car - down and dirty detailing protocol needed