Notices

clear bra-long term experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 PM
968_981
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear bra-long term experience

got my first stone chip the other day for my otherwise near mint Platinum Silver 981 w 10K miles on it. Wondering for those of you have front end clear bra coated for a while, do you see it fade to dull pale yellowish color over time (years)? She is a garage queen and continue to be, only see sunny days, get taken out may be once a week max.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:02 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you using to clean /maintain the surface?

Traditionally, plastic cleaners were the main source for cleaning paint protection film. However, these products were never designed specifically for clear bras. Chemicals within plastic cleaners can actually be harmful to the film if left on for an extended period of time. Certain propellants within aerosol canisters are responsible for excessively drying out the pores of the clear bra, which then leaves them open to the elements and yellowing.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My real world experience has been that on a darker colored car you will not see a color variation on a garage queen car that sees sunny day driving and is well cared for. My bra is 4.5 years old and there is no discernable color difference between the covered and uncovered areas.

Having said that, my clear bra has taken a beating over the past 4.5 years and I'm ready to have it changed. The bumper has pitting and bug spatter damage on a good portion of it and the hood has spots where larger debris has slid across it and left deep scratches. Without the bra that would be my paint that gets damaged and it would need to be buffed out and touched up. Overall I'm very happy with the protection, so much so that I put Clearplex on my windshield earlier this year.

I have already investigated the cost and I'm looking at $1800 to have the old bra removed and the new bra installed, full custom cut with no visible edges on most panels. I'll probably get it done in the spring.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:20 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 968_981
got my first stone chip the other day for my otherwise near mint Platinum Silver 981 w 10K miles on it. Wondering for those of you have front end clear bra coated for a while, do you see it fade to dull pale yellowish color over time (years)? She is a garage queen and continue to be, only see sunny days, get taken out may be once a week max.
Hello 968_981,

Sorry to hear about the stone chip, but what a great color for the car!

As far as the the clear bra fading or dulling to a yellow color, clear bra aka paint protection film has come a long way... XPEL ULTIMATE is warrantied for 10 years against: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating...not to mention it is also a self-healing paint protection film.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
What are you using to clean /maintain the surface?

Traditionally, plastic cleaners were the main source for cleaning paint protection film. However, these products were never designed specifically for clear bras. Chemicals within plastic cleaners can actually be harmful to the film if left on for an extended period of time. Certain propellants within aerosol canisters are responsible for excessively drying out the pores of the clear bra, which then leaves them open to the elements and yellowing.
Yes, exactly this...when you do have your clear bra installed avoid products that contain naptha and/or kerosine. You'd be surprised how much is in detailing products.

Regarding XPEL we have a line of our aftercare products, as do other companies that are designed for the film after it has been installed.

If you have any questions please ask, even if its not about our film and we will try to help anyway possible.

Quick Reply: clear bra-long term experience