Notices

Correcting touch up paint in rock chips

Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM
plc61
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correcting touch up paint in rock chips

I recently purchased an 06 C2S that is in remarkable condition, with the exception of the hood area having dozens of "bumps" made by someone dabbing paint pen or touch up kit type paint on the rock chips. It feels like little lumps on the hood, and does not look good up close. I want to smooth these out without ruining my clear coat, then use a Dr. Colorchip or similar product to repair the rock chips that come in the future.

Recommendations? I'm thinking of 1) taking it to a pro (I'm in the Woodlands area north of Houston, TX) or 2) doing it myself using either a medium cut polish on a DA machine or ultra fine wet sand with 2000 or greater on a rubber block, followed by polish sequence. It would be a lot more convenient to do it myself, of course, but don't want to ruin the paint. I don't want to just live with it as it is, though. The car is Carmon Red, BTW.

thanks!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Langka. It does work on cured paint but you'll need to go slow so you don't remove the paint around the touch up. If you follow the instructions it will level the paint and you likely won't need to go through the touch up procedure again unless the paint doesn't match and your goal is to remove it entirely.

A DA won't work that well since the paint is already fully cured, wet sand would work but I certainly wouldn't experiment if you don't have the experience. Either of these approaches will result in removing a large amount of paint around the touch up.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:52 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts
Default Correcting touch up paint in rock chips

If you have any real high spots left after trying the Langka as MB suggested, you can also try using small piece of ultra fine sandbar on the end of a pencil erasure. Using a hole Linh, punch several dots of ultra fine sand paper, glue the to the erasure of a few pencils, and carefully rotate the sanding disc over the high spot. Once it's level, then polish out.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:23 AM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry @ AMMO NYC has a vid of the process mentioned above on YouTube. This is probably your best solution to bring down the height of each blob individually. Then polish over the area once levelled.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Correcting touch up paint in rock chips