Notices

Swirls on my black '87...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:08 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those scratches could also be instilled from the actual cloth that you are using by hand to try and polish out. The exertion of your fingers is not even.
Here is my recommendation, and this is with a black car or any car. Find a reputable detailer in your area that specializes in paint correction and perfection. Take it to them, pay them for the expertise and the equipment to do the job correctly and protect it. Sometimes, this can take less of a "Hard Handed" approach than you may think. Sometimes it could require lightly sanding these areas and then polishing them back out, something you should be familiar with in working with metal.
I have had vehicles come into the shop that looked horrendous and it took a stepped approach to bring them back to pristine again.
Also, the statement that the polisher will leave behind the circular scratches is a true and false statement.
You can leave swirls with a heavy pad and compound that will need more polishing. Polishing with graduated pads and polishes will remove those to give you a glass like finish.

HUMP
Carolina Auto Image
Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Removing deeper scratches can be done using a Dual Action Polisher with the right pads and products however there are two major caveats.

1. You need to know what you're doing with the equipment and products. Having the right products doesn't necessarily equate to knowing how to use them and getting good results. I have polished out several 928's over the years including a single stage black and it had similar issues as your paint so I know it can be done.

2. The more important factor is knowing how much paint you have available to work with. Since those scratches are deeper you really need to figure out if you have enough paint to level the paint around the scratches to an equal depth. The only way to do that is to have the paint thickness measured. If you don't have enough paint you're only solution is a respray.

Do a search using my name, you'll see several write ups I did years ago on how to polish paint.

Quick Reply: Swirls on my black '87...