Notices

Plastic scuff removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 04:14 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Plastic scuff removal

I've searched for anything similar to this and didn't find anything.

While at a track day a light plastic piece of body material flew up in the air and it came down on my front hood while I was doing about 130mph. It was a butt pucker for a minute there.

Anyway, the plastic left a film, no dent thankfully, on my hood where it hit. It left some on the windshield too but I was able to get that completely off with just windex. I got most of the plastic off of the hood with clay, but there remains a bit you can see if you look from the right angle.

I am skeptical to clay it for the fourth time, and wonder if someone here can recommend a cleaner that would work better than more abrasion.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Are you sure it did not damage the clear coat?

Try your favorite wax. If may have enough to pull the film residue off.

Can try WD40.

Can try alcohol.

Can polish with a very low cut polish.

After all these steps, and if the film comes off, you need to rewax/sealant your hood. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and preferrably an orange polishing pad, but a microfiber towel will work. Make sure the surface is competely clean. Go at it with the compound, inspecting often to check your work.

For defects like this, you might invest in a Polishing Pal and a few orange and white polishing pads by Lake Country. Check Detailed Image's site for these items. If you're there picking up these items, you can pickup some polish too, but the Megs Ultimate Compound and Polish are fine, and easily available.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:40 AM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks guys. I think the polishing would be a good next step and will try the Meguiars.

It could be the clear coat is scratched, and hopefully it will polish out.

I'll let you know. Car is tucked away for another month or so unfortunately, come on summer!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would suggest a light polish also. I would use a microfiber applicator and do this by hand and move to a fresh surface constantly so as to prevent the plastic from building up on the surface of the applicator and causing scratches on the clear coat.

Quick Reply: Plastic scuff removal