Notices

06 Cayenne Clear Coat...hard or soft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 06 Cayenne Clear Coat...hard or soft?

I polished my black metallic 06 CTT last year intending to remove the swirls and holograms from buff jobs by others. I used Einzett Paint Polish and Meguiar yellow pads on a 6" DA, and it hardly did anything for the swirls. Since then I've read conflicting remarks on detailing forums concerning the hardness of the clear coat on Cayennes being much harder than typical CC. I'm getting set to order pads & polish for a new effort and want to have the right products on hand this time. I'd like to hear from those with some depth in Porsche detailing about the hardness issue and whether I need a really aggressive compound/pad combo, without the hype that seems heavy on detailing websites. Recommendations? I have some experience but am an amateur at detailing and want to err on the conservative side to avoid making things worse.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Einzett Paint Polish isn't going to provide the level of correction you need. Being conservative, safe, and inexpensive, you might try Meguiars Ultimate Compund, avalailale to WalMart, auto parts stores, etc. At $10, you might as well start there.

Secondly, I looked up the Megs Yellow pad, and again, it's not aggressive enough. Try a Lake Country or Buff & Shine Orange pad with the Megs Ultimate Compund on a 2x2 spot and see how it goes. You can finish the polish off with the Einzett or some Megs Ultimate Polish, using a white or green pad.

To step it up from there, quality and gloss wise, you could use Menzerna FG400 on the orange pad followed by Menzerna 4000 with a green or white pad. Menzerna PF2500 is also great at mid-level correction.

My 911 is the same model year as your SUV and I've used these products with great succeess.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chrono
My 911 is the same model year as your SUV and I've used these products with great succeess.
I've read posts on detailer forums saying that the clear coat on Cayennes is very hard compared to the typical, and it's very soft on 911s. This is what I really hope to confirm. Menzerna FG400 is the most aggressive compound they make and I fear too risky for my once-a-year correcting "finesse".
Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Einzette Paint polish is crap, I remember buying some years ago and after trying it on a couple of panels with barely a result I set it on the shelf to collect dust. I think I either gave it away or tossed it a couple years later.

No I'm not shy about bashing a product after tryring it.

If you want to do some real correction try Meguiars 105 with an appropriate Polishing Pad set at speed 6 or 7 on the PC and Meguiars 205 with a finishing pad set at speed 5.

You should apply a small amount of pressure on the pad to slightly compress it while your polishing and make sure to use a proper pattern.

Porsche paint in general is fairly soft and I have polished out small scratches by hand using Meguiars 105 /205 combo and a microfiber pad.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Einzette Paint polish is crap, I remember buying some years ago and after trying it on a couple of panels with barely a result I set it on the shelf to collect dust. I think I either gave it away or tossed it a couple years later.
I have no particular loyalty to Einzett but liked the result that the 1Z Paint Polish gave on the areas that were in pretty good shape to begin with. I also liked that they sell their polishes in .5 L. I'm going to do a panel with Megs UC from the parts store on a crimson pad, but leaning toward Menzerna 2000 if the UC doesn't perform as hoped.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
I've read posts on detailer forums saying that the clear coat on Cayennes is very hard compared to the typical, and it's very soft on 911s. This is what I really hope to confirm. Menzerna FG400 is the most aggressive compound they make and I fear too risky for my once-a-year correcting "finesse".
Menzerna FG400 is a new generation of compound that is very safe. In fact, FG400 finishes down nicer than Menzerna 1000. You might not need the FG400, I'm just defending it a bit. The IP2000 or UC is going to be great. I think the key here is that your products were not aggressive enough, regardless of the hard or soft paint question.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 AM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chrono
Menzerna FG400 is a new generation of compound that is very safe. In fact, FG400 finishes down nicer than Menzerna 1000. You might not need the FG400, I'm just defending it a bit. The IP2000 or UC is going to be great. I think the key here is that your products were not aggressive enough, regardless of the hard or soft paint question.
I learned that the 1Z polish wasn't up to the job. I read the Menzerna info on the FG400 and they rate for everything for serious correction to haze, so I may give it a try for some areas. I just read a reply on the Cayenne forum describing the clear coat on 955s as very hard and difficult.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a lot of German cars, the clear is hard. If you are concerned with FG400, try SI1500. It was designed for the harder clear coats. Start with that on the Megs yellow, which is a polish pad. If that doesn't work, then try a more aggressive pad.

How close are you to Scottsdale? You could check out "The Detail Boss."

http://scottsdalecardetailing.com/

Bruce

Carolina Auto Image

Quick Reply: 06 Cayenne Clear Coat...hard or soft?