Notices

Question for paint expert .... clearcoat issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 PM
oups59
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Question for paint expert .... clearcoat issue

It is not on my 928 but on my 1994 C36 AMG. The car have 128,000 kms and the original clear coat is cracking all over the car. But no pealing. I try to compound (with menzerna ) but no result.

Any of you had the same issue?

Thanks
Attached Images     
Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check with the MB dealer to see if there are any services bulletins about that issue. I bought a mustang one time that the paint was flaking off. I took it to the dealer for an estimate and they reprinted the whole car for free. They said it was a common problem and that Ford was taking care of it even though the warranty had expired.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

What you're seeing is crazing and it is common on silver and smoke silver MB's from 1991 - 1994 if I remember correctly. Unfortunately it's not something you can correct with a buffer, the only way to fix it is with a respray.

I can't recall the reason for this issue but you may be able to find it by doing a search for "crazing" in the Peachparts Forum which seems to have a stronger focus on the older cars.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:10 PM
oups59
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
What you're seeing is crazing and it is common on silver and smoke silver MB's from 1991 - 1994 if I remember correctly. Unfortunately it's not something you can correct with a buffer, the only way to fix it is with a respray.

I can't recall the reason for this issue but you may be able to find it by doing a search for "crazing" in the Peachparts Forum which seems to have a stronger focus on the older cars.
Thanks..
Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazing takes on more of a broken up dry desert ground type look. What this looks like is just really scratched up paint surface, so bad that even a wet sand will only improve it by a small margin.

Now it's possible that your clear is failing which is caused by faulty UV within the clear and/or abuse in terms of paint care but again it looks different from what I can see in the pictures. The dealer will do nothing for you so that's a dead end.

Anthony
Old 09-05-2017, 03:15 PM
henrylr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 83 944 is Zermatt Silver LY7Y/LY7Y and has crazing that started on the passenger door about fives years ago. It has now spread to the rear fender and has started on the drivers side door. A very good shop told me it was cracking in the clear coat, paint and very likely down through the primer. They said it cannot be buffed out. Only fix is stripping to bare metal and repainting. Has anyone seen this problem and the fact that it spreads over time? Has anyone fixed this without using a $10K paint job?

Quick Reply: Question for paint expert .... clearcoat issue