Notices

Old Rubber Trim Care

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Rubber Trim Care

I have an '87 Porsche 944 Turbo. After watching Adam (Adams Polishes) dress some window trim rubber (can't find the video now) I decided to give mine the same treatment.

I used All Purpose Cleaner on a microfiber towel and started rubbing the 25+ years of who knows what off the rubber trim around my front windshield. The "black" didn't stop soiling my towel until at least 5 applications (I'm thinking great).

When I finished, the rubber was very dull looking (it was shiny).

On to the Adams VRT and to my dismay after 3 applications the rubber still looks dull and old. Can it be so dry that it needs more applications? Is there a better product to use to give it a "new look"?

I hate when I spend an hour of my time and something looks worse than when I started...LOL

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Try Aerospace 303.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean using Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency

1z einszett Gummi-Pflege for use on clean or pre-cleaned rubber, protection and durability measured in months, it has a little sponge on top of the bottle so you always get the right amount of product on your weather-stripping or rubber seals. Once applied to rubber they will take on a dark but natural shine. Use bi-annually to provide protection to avoid rubber from hardening or freezing.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Thank you.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm thinking that the APC may have damaged your trim.

303 is an excellent maintenance product, not sure how it will do if you did damage the trim.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm thinking that the APC may have damaged your trim.
I'm not sure why you would think the APC would damage the trim but it looks fine except dull.

I'm going to try the 1Z products and will let everyone know how it works; may even take pictures.

For the record: I'm a big fan of Adam's Polishes. This is the first time one of their products didn't exceed my expectations (Unique application to be fair to them).

more to come...
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used Griots trim conditioner, works very well, just don't get it on the paint because its a pain to take off. I also used their rubber cleaner before hand.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ks&from=Search
Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Whitlock
2nd Gear

I'm a huge Adam's fan as well but for trim I've been using Gtechniq's Permanent Trim Restorer with very good results: http://gtechniqna.com/exterior-coati...trim-restorer/
Of course make sure you clean the rubber first like others have mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Old Rubber Trim Care