Notices

Questions on pad choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Questions on pad choice

I'm new to DIY polishing with a DA machine. I have a black 06 Cayenne with what I'd call typical "dealer job" swirls and finish wear, but no deep scratches. I have a few questions as I get my supplies lined up:
  • Is there a real difference in pad performance or longevity between the name brands like Meguiers and Lake Country.
  • What about choice of the pad face pattern; smooth or waffle?
  • I'd really appreciate recommendations on pad grade and quantity I'll need to do a Cayenne. Assume a first swirl removing polish, and a second with a fine polish, then wax.
  • Should I get a 3" backing plate and pads for tight spots?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 01:28 AM
ET1KTRD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have experience with lake county and hex logic pads, but I'm sure at some point there is a difference I pad quality. I would stick with something you know is good since the cost diff is minimal. U will mostly need an orange and a black or white pad. Use the orange with a cutting polish and white with a finishing polish. Also clay the car if it has never been before. Then apply sealant and/or wax. And yes, get smaller backing plate and pads if u plan to polish the entire car.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Foam pads perform differently from each other on the basis of how they’re constructed. Under a microscope, foam pads look like a bee’s honeycomb, small uniformly shaped cells.

The smaller the cells the more densely the construction, this type of foam pad would be considered less aggressive, thus it would be considered a finishing pad. The opposite effect takes place if the foam cells were larger, or less dense.

This construction will cause the foam pad to be more aggressive as in a compounding pad. There are various grades of foam pads on either side of the aggressive or finishing scale.

The face of a polishing pad should be designed to efficiently use its surface contact area. If a foam pad has lines, squares, circles, or dimples cut out of (or pressed into) the pad face, less actual surface area is available compared to a flat pad. Usually these foam patterns are designed to increase buffing performance by the slower release of product, operator comfort or ease of use as they decrease the contact area and the pads efficiency

Periodically inspect the face of your foam pads, eventually you will have to replace the pads as they will wear and lose their abrasive ability just like finish paper

An extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Foam Pads I” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1448087

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles,
these informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base -. http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ET1KTRD
I only have experience with lake county and hex logic pads, but I'm sure at some point there is a difference I pad quality. I would stick with something you know is good since the cost diff is minimal. U will mostly need an orange and a black or white pad. Use the orange with a cutting polish and white with a finishing polish. Also clay the car if it has never been before. Then apply sealant and/or wax. And yes, get smaller backing plate and pads if u plan to polish the entire car.
Thanks. I will go over it with a clay bar beforehand. Are the "dimple" pads more effective? Will I need more than one pad of each weight to do one car?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 AM
ET1KTRD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. But u will need to clean the pads periodically while using them. I usually clean the pad I'm using after applying product 3 times. I use a thing called the Universal Pad Washer to clean them since I detail my cars often. It makes cleaning them a breeze! But it costs $115! 😖. I prefer the hex logic pads since they hold the product better and are made well.

Quick Reply: Questions on pad choice