Notices

How to get rid of "shiny leather'

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 12:48 AM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get rid of "shiny leather'

So I know you all know what 'm talking about. I have 993 sport seats in my 1996 C4S and my passenger seat looks like it is brand new, but my drivers seat has that shiny leather look to it. I want to know what products to use and what I should do so I can get the look of brand new leather back to my drivers seat.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 10-12-2013, 12:49 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Leatherique pristine clean and Leatherique rejuvinating oil.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:50 AM
ryguy993
Racer

I have those products. Is there any special trick to applying them?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shiny leather is usually an accumulation of dirt and old care products that become abrasive when mixed and shines the leather each time a person slides across the seating surface

Removal of accumulated soiling and layers of aged products - to restore the surface to its original matte finish; clean finished leather surfaces using Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane covered upholstery or Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner or Optimum Power Clean ™ for aniline leather, which can be diluted with distilled water to the required strength; do not apply any liquid cleaning product directly to the surface of finished leather, as it may ‘spot’ clean, leaving a lighter colour.

Apply cleaning products to a folded 100% cotton towel and then apply to the surface using light / medium pressure. Use a medium hard brush to permeate the grain, stitching and seams.

An extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Old 10-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ryguy993
I have those products. Is there any special trick to applying them?
Here's a helpful how-to guide:

Leatherique How To Instructions
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Ryan,

Give Leather Masters Strong Cleaner a shot and use the Leatherique Prestine Clean for conditioning. You'll need a boars hair brush to get into the cracks/creases and pores to really get a clean surface. I did this on my 928 and it looked awesome and I believe the leather didn't change from 1990 to 1996.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Thanks Afshin!
I purchased the leather cleaning and conditioning kit from detailers domain last spring and I never used it. It came with the strong cleaner and the conditioner, it also came with the boars hair brush and a foam applicator pad. I will try the kit this week and post before and after pics to see how it turns out.

Cheers,
Ryan

Quick Reply: How to get rid of "shiny leather'