Notices

Bird poop dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bird poop dilemma

My black 993 is a daily driver. At work, I park in an uncovered lot that seems to be very dirty (pollen, construction dust, etc). After only one day in the lot, the car becomes covered with this fine gritty debris.

Occasionally, a bird will drop its business somewhere on a painted surface of the car. I know it is important to remove the bird poop ASAP to avoid etching of the clearcoat, but I am concerned that doing so will introduce scratches if I just quick detail it instead of doing a full proper wash

What is the right way to handle this? Hose it off and air dry? Bite the bullet and wash properly then dry? I don't want water spots either.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

A spray bottle with distilled water can do wonders.

More info here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ollutants.html
Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Lex.

I'm getting all my frustrations out today. Can you tell?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a bottle of waterless wash and a couple microfiber towels on hand at all times.

How To: Wash & Wax Your Car in 10 Minutes

The goal while performing a waterless car wash is to safely remove dirt and grime without scratching the paint. Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba creates a very slick surface so dirt and grime can safely be removed without scratching the finish. You always want to use an ample amount of product while performing a waterless wash.

Working one panel at a time, spray a liberal amount of product directly onto the surface and wipe clean with a microfiber towel. I like the Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel because its pile is thick enough to trap dirt and grit without causing unnecessary drag.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

When dealing with bird poop on a dusty surface the first step is to remove any large dust particles that could cause scratching. This could be done with a light sweep of a california duster or compressed air. I prefer compressed air but it's not always available.

I follow this with a liberal amount of quick detail spray. Griots Speed Shine has a good amount of lubricants and it's cheap enough to spray liberally. Let it sit a few seconds and then make a first pass with a very plush deep pile microfiber and gently wipe the area with the bird poop. You will only get a small amount off in the first pass.

Spray the area again and now use the shallow pile portion of a microfiber and remove any remaining bird poop.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Great advice. Thanks, guys!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

About 6 months ago, AFTER I had finished washing my car, I was out for a drive and a bird did a fly-by on my hood with about a full tablespoon of fresh berry poop! Since I was on the road, I couldn't clean it up right away. It sure did do a number on the clear coat which my detailer was able to 100% polish out. Luckily, it had been about a year since the previous detail, so the paint was due for a professional job.

He basically, did a wash, claybar, mild polish ( mostly Menzerna products) and wax with a Porter Cable or Flex RO . Came out like new.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:27 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Bird excrement; the most damaging environmental pollutants” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ollutants.html

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles, these informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base -. http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
Old 10-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Well, I went out to my car last night after work, and yes, a bird had dumped on my hood. Driving home I cursed birds, all birds, the whole way. Underneath the anger, however, I was a little optimistic knowing I had learned a lot about how to handle this problem from your posts and feedback.

I let the car cool off then gently neutralized the crap with a mixture of baking soda and distilled water (x3 min), then extracted and dried the acid with 1:1 mixture of IPA and distilled water (x3 min), then gently rinsed with water and repeated the process.

The crap is gone, and I didn't scratch the paint, but I do have an etched defect in the clearcoat that I will have to address sometime this weekend after I wash the car.

Thanks again!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

TOGWT I have to disagree regarding the use of quick detail spray to remove the bird poop. There have been several instances where I have wiped somewhat fresh bird droppings from paint using a QD without issue. No etching and no etching after the fact.

I do use a liberal amount so that may have something to do with it. I speak from my personal experience on this.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:55 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 571 Likes on 385 Posts

Well, yesterday I wasn't quick enough. Bird crapped on the car sometime in he morning adn I was not able to get to it until it was baked on after a full in the sun....nothing like a black car. One I carefully wiped it away, I am left with some etching. I used baking soda and water and will try vinegar & distilled water. I will have to use the porter cable and Mezerma this weekend.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had good luck with this:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/poorb...g-remover.html
Old 06-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Lavadero
3rd Gear

Pls consider a car cover. The offending fowl aren't going away and will continue to target a black car.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 571 Likes on 385 Posts

Update: After neutralizing with baking soda solution, was able to remove fine etching with my PC, blue pad, and a very fine polish. completely gone. Now sealed with Opti-Seal and a fresh coat of wax.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 PM
1990944S2
Instructor

You did the right thing 95-993 (other than owning my favorite Pcar) You've got to get a sealant on that paint. There are a plethora of polymer and perma-coats that will do the trick in preventing the bird's stomach acid from etching and/or swelling the clear. Even on the cheap at approx. $50 for a quart of Menzerna Polymer Sealant, you can give the 993 a quick dose every second weekend or so, and just power-wash the droppings off the paint without even touching it.

Quick Reply: Bird poop dilemma