Sealant or wax on Guards Red single stage

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Sealant or wax on Guards Red single stage

Hi All,
I've found a helpful supplier to help me bring my finish back.

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...lear-coat.html

I've bought a Porter Cable 7424 XP 5.5", orange light cutting pads and Maguire's 205 Ultra Finishing Polisher.

The question now is sealant or wax on Guards Red (86 911).

The supplier is telling me it's personal preference.

Any recommendations?

I prefer a deep shine rather than glass like if I can.

Thanks
Rod
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All waxes, sealents and coating products have their own attributes; 'What is the best product for X is very subjective, so a difinitive answer is impossible.

Often what is considered by some to be ‘the best wax or sealant’ is either due to brand loyalty and / or an emotive response. Ultimately the best wax or sealant will prove to be the one that best meets its user's objectives. If a product is not working for you experiment until you find one that’s suitable for your needs.

The final result can only be as good as the surface it’s applied to. It really is all dependants upon, process over product; 85% surface preparation, 5% product suitability, 7% application methodology and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. The other variables are; a detailer’s knowledge of the paint type, experience with a given product and skill level and experience with machine polisher.

Some products will maximise metallic flake, others reflectivity, or depth of shine and colour richness (wetting, also known as jetting). Factors such as durability are objective and are an easily quantifiable part in the process.

There is no one product that can produce all of the properties for an optically perfect shine, however; for high surface gloss and surface reflectance-a polymer sealant, which also provides durability. Detailing enthusiasts consider shine as only one attribute of a protective wax or sealant. They are equally concerned with; ease of application, resistance to abrasion, atmospheric contamination and weathering as well as strong cosmetic enhancement characteristics

a) For depth of shine - Carnauba wax (also provides a sacrificial and easily renewable barrier against airborne contaminants (Swissvax, Zymöl, and Pinnacle Souverän especially on Red, Black and Yellow paint

b) For clarity - long term durability and protection apply a polymer sealant (Zaino Z2PRO™ + ZFX™ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive) to a carefully prepared level, clean paint surface.

c) Optically perfect shine – apply an optically clear polymer sealant and add a Carnauba wax, a Glaze or Zaino Z-8™ Grand Finale Spray Seal as a last step product (LSP).

d) High heat conditions - a polymer sealant, one that includes a UVR protection (Zaino) and a sacrificial wax (Collinite (actually a polymer/wax) Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845) or G Techniq Crystal Lacquer 3S nanotech

e) Harsh winter – Klasse All In One (AIO) Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) x 2, Collinite # 845 Liquid Insulator Wax or # 476s Super Doublecoat Auto Wax x 2.
If you apply a final layer of wax without buffing it will provide more protection / durability (especially for vehicle storage purposes). Collinite Marque D’ Elegance (915) Wax for darker colours)

f) My personal favourite organic waxes (in no particular order) - Swissvax Concorso / Best of Show, Zymöl Vintage and Royale Estate Glaze, Pinnacle Souverän™ Paste Carnauba Wax, P21S® (R222®) Carnauba Wax and Victoria Concours Red Wax g) Use a polymer for durability – use an organic wax for depth of shine- best of both worlds, a polymer sealant with a Carnauba wax LSP

h) If you need long-term durability for a daily driver then consider a coating type product
(Opti-Coat™) its durability is measured in years as opposed to months. It can be topped with a wax if desired

An organic wax also provides a sacrificial surface that will resist acid (salt brine, bird excrement, acidic rain, etc) better than a polymer, which forms a molecular bond with the paint, whereas a an organic wax forms a semi-hard protective shell (although it lacks durability)
Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

This is what he is suggesting

http://www.wisdomdetail.ca/optimum_opti-seal
http://www.wisdomdetail.ca/pinnacle_...uveran_car_wax
http://www.wisdomdetail.ca/Menzerna_Power_Lock_16oz
http://www.wisdomdetail.ca/pinnacle_...uveran_car_wax
http://www.wisdomdetail.ca/Rejex_Paint_Sealant_12oz

I'm leaning towards a sealant as the car does see the elements all too often.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I just put the Menz Power Lock on my 993 and 997 both black. Shine looks great but will have to see on longevity but others say it lasts a long time. Did a major paint correction on both before the sealant. I agree that a sealant is the way to go for a dd especially in Toronto. I have used Larry at Wisdom for products and he's a good guy

I will use the Meg's ultimate quik wax father washes to give it some extra shine
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Range Rover
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 59 Posts

What about 22ple?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If you want a deep wet look Pinnacle Souveran can't be beat at it's price point. It's a great carnauba.

If you need the added protection I agree with others than a sealant is best. I would also buy a good spray wax and spray the car after a wash while it's still wet to add some protection between waxes. Doing this also prevents water spots and enhances the gloss.

Quick Reply: Sealant or wax on Guards Red single stage