Notices

Salt-Free Carpets in a Winter Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Salt-Free Carpets in a Winter Daily Driver

Floor pans don't rust from the outside in, but from the inside out due to road salt soaked interior carpets and under pad that then eat away at the metal all year, not just during the winter.

Other than a light vacuuming once or twice a year, the carpet in this pic has never been shampooed in 11 years of "real" winters as a daily driver in Canada. Road salt has never made it to the carpet.

The secret? A double layer of 6 mil vapor barrier plastic sheeting placed under the Pants Savers rubber mat with about 6" extending beyond all edges. To prevent the Pants Savers mat from slipping around, it is attached to the seat frame rails using rope to attach two tarp clips.

This pic was taken after removal of the vapor barrier sheet and Pants Saver mat after the end of the eleventh winter and prior to any post-winter clean-up.

The car is now in its fourteenth year...and still rust free. Exterior rust protection thanks to Krown T-40.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

That is a great idea!

Can you please post a picture of what the vapor barrier looked like while installed? I'm fairly careful in my own car but the same can't be said about my wife. Adding something like this before the winter would help keep the car looking new....
Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Can you please post a picture of what the vapor barrier looked like while installed?
Done, see link.

Salt-Free Carpets

Last edited by IXLR8; 02-17-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thank you Alex

I'm not too keen on using that throughout the car and the all weather mats are doing a good job in the passenger and rear but this may be a great option for the drivers side. Specifically maybe placing a single piece in the footwell near the dead pedal and around the lower section of the gas pedal with some type of pin to keep it in place. Thanks again for the post.

Quick Reply: Salt-Free Carpets in a Winter Daily Driver