Notices

Is there a shelf life for products?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM
sprio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there a shelf life for products?

I purchased Griot's random orbital kit about four years ago, and have never used it. I finally have the time to get started, but I'm concerned the various polishes, etc. might not be good after all this time on the shelf. Do they expire, or is there a way to determine if its gone bad?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know if polish/wax goes bad, per se, but sometimes the products can separate after sitting for a long time. Just shake well....really well....before using, and if it's not what you expected, you can either contact Griot's [they have a great guarantee] or do like I did: switch to Mequiars. Nothing against Griot's - I still use a lot of their products. I elected to go with a stronger polish combo in the Meg's 105/205 polishes.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

In my experience most products will remain useable for many years with one exception. P21S Shine Enhancing Paint Cleanser. This has a 12 month shelf life, after 12 months it will mold over inside and its consistency and effectiveness changes.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car care product shelf life

Providing their contains have a tight seal, are not compromised by fractures or (air) leaks, and use at least a single stage fluorination of the plastic, so that it is resistant to petrochemical solvents; without this the sides will ‘collapse’, which is actually the solvents in the product escaping through the micro pores of the plastic.

All liquid products should be shaken well before use and stored in light resistant containers

a) Polymers have a shelf life of approx 3-5 years if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above

b) Nanotechnology coatings - should be stored in tightly sealed containers and protected from heat and moisture. Recommended storage temperatures are 30. ° - 122. °.F Shelf life is approximately 12 months, provided the material is stored in sealed in its original containers, between 65. ° - 75. °.F.

c) Polish - technically 2 years, providing the bottle is kept closed, and the product has not separated or the solvents haven’t evaporated by leaching ( the bottle will become semi- collapsed) there should be no problem with use for three years after sale date

d) Waxes - will last almost indefinitely, provided that they are stored a sealed in their original containers and in the refrigerator or controlled environment once opened. The liquids should last 18 months if stored at normal room temperature.

e) Detailing Chemicals (Wheel cleaners, All purpose cleaners (APC) and etc) have an almost indefinite shelf life if kept in their original containers and stored at temperatures as above, see also Product separation

f) Product separation - if product emulsion separates it could be indicative of age (but not necessarily past its useful life) shake vigorously for 5-10 minutes and see if the product re- mixes.
Product shelf -life may vary from one manufacturer to another, if in doubt check with product mfg or vendor.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by sprio
Do they expire, or is there a way to determine if its gone bad?
I've never seen an expiry label on any of the bottles I have. Nor have I seen any mention of it on the company web sites. I do store them indoors so that they don't freeze.

I have some products that I have had longer than you'd like to know. After shaking the bottle for a good five minutes, it looks the same and is as effective as it was when new.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
sprio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, guys - a bit tardy in following up, but thought I'd do so anyway - I spoke with Griot's and they repeated what you all said, and told me they'd replace the product if I was uncertain. Turned out they were all good, and after shaking them all vigorously, I set to work. The car looks great! I should have put these tools to work long ago.

One down, two to go!

Quick Reply: Is there a shelf life for products?