Notices

OK, once and for all, what catagory of leather is Porsche "Natural Leather?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 01:20 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
I have been using the Leather Masters products for several years. Although I do not have contrast stitching, I am very satisfied with the results and the products. I purchased from Phil at Detailers Domain (no affiliation).
Thanks I was just wondering if it will affect the stitching ?
best regards
Ed
Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
OK so ditch the Porsche stuff and go with this ?Amazon.com: Leather Master Leather Care Kit - 250ml: Health & Personal Care
Since this car is brand new I am assuming I can forgo the cleaner this time around and just use the protection ? Also.... So I can put the Leather Masters protection on the stitching, just very sparingly ? or avoid it completely ?
TIA for your help
Regards
Ed
Sorry not to be a D#$% but do I need to clean brand new leather ?
I am buying the kit anyway that includes both the light cleaner and the conditioner
Also I can get the conditioner on the stitching right
TIA
Regards
Ed
Old 04-14-2022, 12:24 PM
vokain
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Years ago, during the old style of processing, the leather was simply 'stuffed' with oils and fats and they were simply left to just sit in the fibre structure. But over time the oils migrated out of the leather, whether through use or heat (such as automotive leathers exposed to the sun which resulted in the fogging haze on the windows).

Consequently, these oils needed to be replaced at regular intervals and so the term of 'feeding leather' grew. And rightly so, because back then the leather really did need to be replenished, otherwise it would become hard, shrink and crack. However, leather manufacturing and the development of chemicals used has come a long way.

Nowadays, modern fat liquors are technically advanced using high quality, specially processed natural and synthetic oils that meet very high specifications.

These are typically fully reacted to the fibre structure, and as a consequence only minimal amounts can migrate out of the leather. Because of this low migration continually adding creams and lotions to replace lost oils is therefore no longer necessary.

The use of oils, replacement of fat liquor, oil-based conditioning, proteins or the adjustment of pH levels is totally unnecessary; the surface is a urethane that contains pigmentation (colour) it neither needs or benefits from any of the above
What type of leather is this called? I have to replace the seat leather in my 997.2 tts with ventilated seats (perforations) because the original leather broke down and tore, and I wanted to replace the leather not with OEM leather, but something better that hopefully won't break down again in another 10 years.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:42 AM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Apologies for reviving this dated thread but was hoping to get some updated input. I have read about two dozen posts about how to care for (Espresso) Porsche Natural Leather and just want definitive information:

1- Is Porsche Natural Leather finished or coated? If so, with what?
2- Does Porsche Natural Leather need only soap and water to clean? If so, what type of soap?
3- Are the Porsche standard leather cleaning and conditioning products good for Porsche Natural Leather?
4- What other cleaning and conditioning products are good for Porsche Natural Leather?
5- Does Porsche Natural Leather need UV protection?

It would be far easier if Porsche was explicit on what to use but I cannot find this anywhere.

As an aside, I am only interested in Porsche Natural Leather- not other variations or something off brand.

Much appreciated!

Thanks,

G.

Last edited by geoorlando; 09-04-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:10 PM
McLaren997
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Sorry not to be a D#$% but do I need to clean brand new leather ?
I am buying the kit anyway that includes both the light cleaner and the conditioner
Also I can get the conditioner on the stitching right
TIA
Regards
Ed
No, you don't need to clean or condition brand new leather. Most people that like to detail do WAY TOO MUCH to leather. I wouldn't touch it for at least 2 years unless something happens that needs cleaning up.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:32 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McLaren997
No, you don't need to clean or condition brand new leather. Most people that like to detail do WAY TOO MUCH to leather. I wouldn't touch it for at least 2 years unless something happens that needs cleaning up.
I agree and I’ve adopted this philosophy. I don’t like any conditioner on my leather. End of story when the leather does get dirty ( as it starts to form a shine or patina )I like using this product
https://a.co/d/eDNbPdF
kind regards
Ed

Quick Reply: OK, once and for all, what catagory of leather is Porsche "Natural Leather?"