Notices

I need a detail plan for a black cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I agree that M105 dries quickly but you can spray the pad with quick detailer and it will allow you to continue working the panel and finishing it without adding more product.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost forgot regarding the original post. I've never owned a convertible but I've used 303 Protectant on canvas and it works great as a protectant. Not sure what to advise re: cleaning your top though.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Dplus
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the input; I'm planning on doing this in April or sooner if weather permits. I'll post pix and hopefully good results.

Darell
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darell,

Take a look at this thread of a Boxster that we did, it will have the products used including the cab top and rear window care.

We used M105 on this car but you can probably use Menzerna Super Intensive Polish followed by Menzerna Super Finish or PO85RD.

Don't forget your forum discount for 10% off your total order.
Click on the link for the write up.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Dplus
Instructor

Thanks Philip,

Fortunately I've got a better starting place than the Boxster, but want the same results you got - that car looks great. I wasn't aware 1Z made a plastic window product, looks like it worked wonders; I'll be adding that and Adam's Undercarriage spray as well. I'd already decided to order from DD, thanks for the discount!

Any chance of you opening a shop in Northern Ca.???

Thanks again,
Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

thanks! with the current weather conditions I should be in CA for 3-4 months out of the year.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Augustus Davies

Dplus,

I have a black 993 also and I use Menzerna polish...for wax, I tried many and found that Zymol 'Black Wax" works the best for me.

Hope this helps.

Augie
Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Dplus
Instructor

Thanks Augie,

It does help. I've been trying to decide between Menzerna and 1Z. I've read good things about both.

Darell
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Though you've already gotten a lot of replies--and I'm glad to see you're going with Phil and DD as he has great products, great service and great advice--I respectfully disagree with those who recommend you start in with purple wool and 105. Especially if they haven't seen the condition of your paint.

The attached photos show corrections with Menzerna P203S, (applied with white Lake Country pad), then followed up with Menzerna 106FA and a Lake Country black pad (the blue car). The black car was corrected with 106FA/white pad and followed with Menzerna P 85RD and a black pad. Though I used a Metabo rotary, you can achieve similar results with a PC, albeit it will no doubt take a bit more time. The point is, start with a mild polish and pad combo before you jump to a more aggressive product.

You can get the finish the way you want it and maintain it for quite a while with proper wash techniques and products. Again, Phil can help you.

And please don't use a California duster! Those things are loaded with paraffin and IMHO you just end up dragging that heavy, dirt filled thing over the finish of your car, no matter how much you shake it out. Better to wash, with something like Optimum No Rinse when it's dirty than using a CD.

Just my .02

HTH

Before

After

Before

After
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^Very nice job, the black looks fantastic!

I agree with usj100 that caution should be taken with using M105 and a wool pad is overkill. Even a cutting pad may be overkill depending on the condition of the paint.

But I do disagree on the California Duster. I've been using them for decades now and they do serve a purpose. They should never be used on paint that is very dirty or has seen rain. They should only be used for light dusting after a sunny day drive and avoid areas like the rocker panels and wheels to prevent major dirt build up. After dusting follow up with a Microfiber and Quick Detail Spray to clean any remaining dust and debris. Biggest issue I've had with a California duster is that the paraffin may sometimes streak on the paint if the surface is hot, but if you're wiping with a Microfiber after the fact it doesn't really matter.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Thanks, MB. I use Optimum No Rinse and find it's just as quick (and I think safer) than doing a "dust/detail spray and MF wipedown"

This is the level of dirt accumulation that I'm talking about. I wouldn't use a duster and/or detail spray, then wipe down with this much stuff on it.

But the main thing is what's comfortable for you and what works for you. (And for a black car, early adoption of the 5 foot rule is something to consider. That is, if it looks good from 5 feet away, don't look any closer or you'll drive yourself nuts!)

Please post up some pics of that Spyder when you get it.

And after an ONR wash

Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Dplus
Instructor

Thanks again everyone. I was planning on starting mild and going up from there if needed; mostly out of paranoia and being at the bottom of the learning curve of polishing a black car for the first time. Didn't know about the Cal Duster and paraffin, thanks for the tip on ONR; I've never used it but will give it a try. The car never really gets dirty, its a fair weather garage queen.

Too late for me and the five foot rule, this black car is already driving me nuts.

For dusting, would lightly spraying a micro fiber with quick detailer and wiping down be ok? Feather duster? Wool duster?

Thanks again, and for those of you that posted pics of your work; Excellent!

Darell
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uzj100
Thanks, MB. I use Optimum No Rinse and find it's just as quick (and I think safer) than doing a "dust/detail spray and MF wipedown"

This is the level of dirt accumulation that I'm talking about. I wouldn't use a duster and/or detail spray, then wipe down with this much stuff on it.

But the main thing is what's comfortable for you and what works for you. (And for a black car, early adoption of the 5 foot rule is something to consider. That is, if it looks good from 5 feet away, don't look any closer or you'll drive yourself nuts!)

Please post up some pics of that Spyder when you get it.
Before dusting I would probably blow off the heavier dirt accumulated on the surface as shown in your first picture. Follow this with the CD and QD with MF.

I'll have to give ONR a try one of these days, just assumed it was typically only used for dirty cars.

My Spyder's exterior will be Basalt Black and I'm **** about my paint's appearance so I'll be finding out the hard way how hard it will be to maintain.

Darell, here are some pictures of what M105 and M205 can do to Porsche paint.
Attached Images       
Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

I'll have to give ONR a try one of these days, just assumed it was typically only used for dirty cars.

My Spyder's exterior will be Basalt Black and I'm **** about my paint's appearance so I'll be finding out the hard way how hard it will be to maintain.
MB I think once you try ONR you'll be a "convert". You can mix it QD strength too.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Some great advice posted here by many. The biggest tip I can give you Darell is if you have the extra budget, get a flex xc3401 instead of a PC. It all comes down to what your time is worth. The flex will cut your time in 1/3 - 1/2 and give 2X better results than a PC. You don't have the vibration and noise of a PC to deal with either. We've actually got 1 PC left in stock and once that's gone, we won't even carry it.

As for polishes, you're pretty much going to get 2 camps...Menzerna and Meg 105/205. Both lines are great and achieve amazing results when paired with the correct polish/pad combo and the right machine. For us, Menzerna has been more predictable, consistent, and reliable. I can use the SIP/SF combo on any car, and I know what my end result will be each time. So for us, detailing for a living, we need that level of predictability and reliability.

I think with all the great advice posted here, your passion, and a little sweat, you'll have your P-car dialed in. Look forward to seeing before/after of this journey.

Quick Reply: I need a detail plan for a black cab