Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Concours & Car Care (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/)
-   -   Zymol Feedback (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/602939-zymol-feedback.html)

cab&coupe 11-22-2010 10:15 AM

Zymol Feedback

I'm interested in getting feedback on what your experiences/opinions are on using Zymol wax?

I bought the Zymol Glasur wax.. which is advertised to be specifically formulated for darker colored Porsche paints to use on my 2006 black C2S. My question is... Is it worth the just north of $100 I paid... or are there better options out there?

Bottom line... is it alll marketing hype or money well spent? There are Zymol waxes at varying price points up to several thousand dollars.

I clayed my car, then used PH cleaner, and used the Glasur wax as the final stage. I wasn't at all disappointed with the outcome, just curious.

beentherebaby 11-22-2010 11:06 AM

I can't answer your question but I'm hoping to see a comparison on the same car of the $3350 custom brewed Swissvax vs. the $1265 Crystal Rock vs. the $689 Concour Swissvax. This car/color specific wax must be incredible stuff or...? :confused: Do they come and wax the car for that price or is this just the wax cost?

Marine Blue 11-22-2010 11:46 AM

I've used Zymol Concours and wasn't that impressed with its appearance or longevity.

My personal preference is Pinnacle Souveran. It layers well, looks awesome and the price is reasonable, especially if you wait for a by one get one free sale.

MoeMistry 11-22-2010 03:10 PM

We use to use zymol for over a decade and switched to Swissvax, and now using various waxes. From a professional's perspective, the zymol waxes are better than swissvax. The look they give is a warm glow and we tried to duplicate it with the swissvax, but it wouldn't match. Longevity wise, the zymol outlasted the swissvax. We typically used Zymol Destiny and Swissvax Mystery. The swissvax does have a better working time, is easier to apply/remove, but that's really the only difference.

At the end, it comes down to if the results matched your expectations. There are many waxes out there at many different price points. It's like buying a watch. A timex tells time just like a rolex. Yet one costs as much as a set of floor mats in your porsche, and the other can cost more than a porsche. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

beentherebaby 11-22-2010 04:06 PM

^^^^ That's why we run the tests... ;)

cab&coupe 11-22-2010 05:13 PM

Thanks for your commentary Moe, good feedback. :thumbsup:

Marine Blue 11-22-2010 05:57 PM

For reference, I have compared Zymol side by side against Pinnacle Souveran, Poorboys and several other popular waxes on Pearl Black Mercedes. Hands down the Pinnacle looked best and I wasn't the only one who thought that. Several people who were present (this was a Meguiars event) also agreed that Pinnacle looked best. And no I do not have any afiliation with Pinnacle or any other brand, this is my unbiased opinion.

beentherebaby 11-22-2010 08:21 PM

It is interesting and true that the different sealants/waxes do produce a different appearance. Some folks like one look better than others. Some professional detailers use a certain paint sealant for durability then top coat it with a wax to get the look that they or their customer prefers. Others just use the sealant alone or a specific wax. It's kinda fun comparing the results.

cab&coupe 11-22-2010 09:00 PM

Good commentary, thanks for the contributions, discussion. :thumbsup:

ricster 11-25-2010 09:48 AM

Years ago i worked for Zymol, trust me it hype, the base wax is from a company that starts with an M and can buy that wax for much less.

cab&coupe 11-25-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by ricster (Post 8084878)
Years ago i worked for Zymol, trust me it hype, the base wax is from a company that starts with an M and can buy that wax for much less.

Kinda the conclusion my buddy and I arrived at... more marketing hype than any real appreciable diffence.

Marine Blue 11-25-2010 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ricster (Post 8084878)

That is exactly what I concluded when I had bought some 15 years ago. Needless to say I always try to try products before I buy.

Bergamasco 11-25-2010 06:23 PM

I used Zymol Carbon years ago and thought it was pretty good until I tried some other products such as P21S, Victoria wax and World's Best Wax. My current favourite is World's Best Wax. I believe that there is far more hype than quality with Zymol which is made in the USA and not in Germany by the way.

TOGWT 11-26-2010 06:00 AM

My personal favourite organic waxes (in no particular order) - Swissvax Concorso / Best of Show, Zymöl Vintage Estate Glaze, Pinnacle Souverän™ Paste Carnauba Wax, P21SCarnauba Wax and Victoria Concours Red Wax

Zymol Vintage Glaze is the most optically clear Carnauba wax I’ve used, applied with bare hands; it’s got to be seen to be believed

Marine Blue 11-26-2010 01:15 PM

But Zymol vintage is extremely high priced! It's hard to justify spending that kind of money on a wax unless you have too much and don't know what to do with it.

I may have to give the Swissvax a try after the Pinnacle runs out, many good reviews out there.