Notices

1987 928 S4 Exterior Detail

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
ckabee1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job!

The rear bumper on my Indy red is covered in swirl marks. I have a pc, but could not touch them with Med Compound pads (orange) and Optimum Polish II.

What pads did you use with the Meg's products?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Bulvot
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

About those water spots...I washed the car at a friend's place last fall and found out the hard way that their water had all kinds of stuff in it that stuck to the car. It was REALLY bad and regular washing with the mild soap I use could not get it off. Rather than risk making the paint worse by trying to get the residue off, I left it for Afshin.

And Afshin, for the record, now I DO like the way the 928 looks (I thought you were going to smack me when I said the reverse).
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 PM
BRB-83-911SC
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

Afshin - very nice work!
Bulvot - awesome looking car!

I have gotten about 1/2 way aroung mine using a PC and Megs 83 and 2, and I must say, I had doubts in my ability to make a difference, especially on a black car, but have been impressed with the results. I probably wouldn't have tackeled this without Afshin's encouragement.

Please share any more before/after pics you might have of problem areas and how you correted them. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by mx22
Afshin,

Btw, I know you mentioned Langa to me before for the scratch. Is there a particular reason you prefer it over Dr.ColorChip?

I'm buying PC from Phil later on today or tomorrow. Will probably start slowly polishing car on weekend... Should I fix the scratch and mirrors prior to that? I don't think it really matters, does it?
Langka is designed to smooth over a bigger chip that's been filled with layers of touch up paint and if you use it properly it will leave a smooth surface which is nearly level with the rest of the paint. Dr. Colorchip is a better solution if you're car is sand blasted and has numerous smaller chips since it would take forever to fill them with a toothpick. Andrew Olson did a nice write up on how to use Dr. Colorchip.

Originally Posted by ckabee1
Great job!

The rear bumper on my Indy red is covered in swirl marks. I have a pc, but could not touch them with Med Compound pads (orange) and Optimum Polish II.

What pads did you use with the Meg's products?
I used a Griots Orange Polishing Pad. The speed setting on the PC was 6 (Max Speed) and I used enough pressure to compress the pad 40 - 50%. Be careful when using 105, its abrasives do not diminish or weaken so if you keep polishing you keep removing paint. Swirls should come out easily but deeper scratches will require more time/polishing. One thing I always like to point out is that not all scratches are worth removing. Yeah they may be shallow enough that it can be corrected but if they're only visible in certain light it may not be worth correcting the paint since you are removing more paint and you will have less to work with later.

Originally Posted by Bulvot
About those water spots...I washed the car at a friend's place last fall and found out the hard way that their water had all kinds of stuff in it that stuck to the car. It was REALLY bad and regular washing with the mild soap I use could not get it off. Rather than risk making the paint worse by trying to get the residue off, I left it for Afshin.

And Afshin, for the record, now I DO like the way the 928 looks (I thought you were going to smack me when I said the reverse).
Chris thank you for the post, it is truly appreciated. It was a pleasure working for you and being able to make the exterior of your car worthy of that stunning interior. You should be able to tackle your interior based upon my suggestions but if you decide you're not up to the task let me know and I'll make time next time I'm down that way.

By the way I didn't take any offense to the comment about not liking the way it looks, it was just surprising to hear from a 928 owner.

Feel free to post the additional pictures.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a shot of the drivers rear quarter panel with a series of scratches lengthwise. To perform a 95% correction I needed to go over this area twice with the 105.

Unfortunately I didn't get a good after shot other than the ones posted earlier.
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a shot of the rear.

The first shot was taken after washing and claying the car. The second shot was taken after compounding twice with Meguiars 105. Some scratches remained on the edges but these were only visible under the direct lighting I was using during the polishing. As noted earlier, in some cases it's best to leave some scratches alone so you leave some paint to work with in the future.
Attached Images   
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Langka is designed to smooth over a bigger chip that's been filled with layers of touch up paint and if you use it properly it will leave a smooth surface which is nearly level with the rest of the paint. Dr. Colorchip is a better solution if you're car is sand blasted and has numerous smaller chips since it would take forever to fill them with a toothpick. Andrew Olson did a nice write up on how to use Dr. Colorchip.

Afshin,

Thanks a lot. What should I do about the extra paint that sits on top of original paint? Will I be able to polish it out with PC?

P.S. Am I missing something? Why would the back of the car be any harder to polish out then any other?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Afshin,

Thanks a lot. What should I do about the extra paint that sits on top of original paint? Will I be able to polish it out with PC?

P.S. Am I missing something? Why would the back of the car be any harder to polish out then any other?
Alexei,

Langka should remove most if not all of that touch up paint you have on the fender. Go slow and be careful not to remove the original paint. The PC will only remove a very small amount and will probably shine it up more than anything.

Honest I do think the bumpers are more difficult to correct but I'm not 100% sure why that is. It's possible the flex agents make the paint more resilient but I can't say for sure.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Afshin - in your first post it says you went Meg's 205 then 105...I'm assuming that you mean you went 105 then 205?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephenwz968
Afshin - in your first post it says you went Meg's 205 then 105...I'm assuming that you mean you went 105 then 205?
Yes you are correct, not sure how I could have missed that when I edited it. I'll correct it now though.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha, awesome work!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Afshin,

Thanks a lot! One last question (I promise... lol or maybe I better not to...):

When you start polishing, do you remove black bumperettes from the car? They are attached to the car in above pics, but I wonder if "after" shots were done after bumperettes were already put back.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Afshin,

Thanks a lot! One last question (I promise... lol or maybe I better not to...):

When you start polishing, do you remove black bumperettes from the car? They are attached to the car in above pics, but I wonder if "after" shots were done after bumperettes were already put back.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to remove them but I typically work around them. If the car is being prepped for concours then I would definitely remove them so that I can clean between the bumper and paint.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Bulvot
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Afshin did offer to clean with the bumperettes removed, but I declined.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Afshin,

Very nice. Looks like the paint needed a fair amount of correction. Excellent job.

Quick Reply: 1987 928 S4 Exterior Detail