Notices

Water spots and polishing stone guards.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water spots and polishing stone guards.

We have "hard" water from a well that is full of mineral deposits. When I wash the car I always make sure to dry the car completely so as not to leave water marks on the paint surface. Yesterday a seagull dumped a load on my hood which I quickly sprayed off with water but didn't dry the car as I was in the process of swapping out the winter tires for summer tires. I later washed the car and tucked it in for the night. This morning there were noticeable water spots on the car. I just polished the car (Griots #2) and the spots are still visible. I seem to recall that diluted vinegar will get them out. Anyone know if this works and at what dilution? I really want to get the spots off before I wax the car.

A second question-can I polish the stone guards by the rear tires?

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Bump

I originally searched "mineral deposits" and came up empty. When I searched for "water spots" a few threads came up with suggestions for water spots.

I found that claying and a vinegar wash is supposed to get rid of the water spots but neither did much. I will hold off on waxing the car until, hopefully, someone has some other ideas.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Bret-sounds like you need to re-polish the water spotted areas. Are you using a rotary or random orbital buffer? Not familiar with Griot's #2, but my guess is you'll need to go with something more aggressive to get the spots out, then finish with a finer polish before waxing. Do you have any etching, or are the spots raised?

You can polish the rear stone guards, mild polish, mild pad and low RPMs if using a rotary. If they're really in bad shape, you can replace them.

Search YouTube for buffing videos

HTH
Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

I am using a random orbital from Griots and their products, suggested by many, not all, on this forum. I have used them for the last couple of years. They have worked extremely well for minor swirl marks. They sell polishes #1-#4. #1 is very bad finish problems. #4 is for minor swirl marks. I used #2, which didn't get the water spots out but I could re-polish the affected areas.

The spots do not feel raised. In fact, I can't feel them at all, no disturbance to the texture of the paint at all. They are just visible, and since it had only been less than 24 hours since yesterday's wash, I can't imagine the paint being etched. I will try to re-polish the affected areas but I have the feeling that it may be to no avail if the vinegar wash didn't help.

I may end up replacing the stoneguards anyway but I will try a light polish first. They just look a little bit dirty.

Thanks for all the information.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Bret can you provide additional details regarding the type of pads your using and the speed setting on the orbital? What other polishing prodcuts do you have availble other than what is noted?

For the stone guard I would use a plastic polish like Plexus or Meguiars. Hand application is best to avoid heat build up. Make sure you tape off the edges to avoid product buildup.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:12 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

I used the Griot system which is comprised of foam polishing pads, and their softer foam waxing pad, Random orbital set on speed 6 as recommended by the manufacturer. I also have access to Meguaire's but haven't purchased any as the Griots has worked well since I've had the car. There are other polish/wax systems recommended by some of the other professionals here, I could look into those.

Thanks for the tip on hand polishing.

Quick Reply: Water spots and polishing stone guards.