Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Concours & Car Care (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/)
-   -   Foam Gun (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/491504-foam-gun.html)

Motobob 03-28-2009 03:27 PM

Foam Gun

I want to take another step toward doing the best job washing I can when I wash not only my 986, but also my other two cars. Can anyone recomend a moderately priced "foam" gun attachment for a garden house that I should purchase and start using? Bob

marcoturbo 03-28-2009 04:17 PM

A Gilmour unit is quite cheap. In the US, I believe Amazon sells this unit.

brad@tirerack.com 03-28-2009 04:56 PM

I have one of these and it works OK.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...h+dispenser.do

I do wish it put more foam on though, but it wasn't expensive.

Search Amazon for a Gilmour Foammaster II. THAT's a foam gun and my next one.

detailersdomain 03-29-2009 10:42 AM

we do sell the gilmour foam gun in a kit with pretty much everything you need.

Foam Gun Kit

Motobob 04-01-2009 10:00 PM

Thanks for the advice...I think I'll start out in the Gilmour Foam II gun as recomended. I appreaciate the replies. Bob

detailersdomain 04-01-2009 10:14 PM

we should have another shipment in shortly.

ELLSSUU 04-05-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com (Post 6429187)
I have one of these and it works OK.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...h+dispenser.do

I do wish it put more foam on though, but it wasn't expensive.

Search Amazon for a Gilmour Foammaster II. THAT's a foam gun and my next one.

I bought the same thing but from a "Dollar Tree" for $1. It looks EXACTLY like the one in your link. Same color and everything. Griots just marked it up a ton. Works okay.

Motobob 04-23-2009 06:27 PM

Foam Gun Technique Query

I bought the foam gun and have used it once...but I do not think I am using the right car shampoo or perhaps not using it correctly.

In my first attempt, I used Macquiers Car Wash (heavy liquid/gel like)...I place a bit of it in the quart canister, filled with water creating suds and then hooked the foam gun out. I got a light coating of foam out but nothing like I had seen demonstrated.

Can someone who has used this Gilmour product to produce a strong heavy foam spray to cover the car please tell me what type of car wash brand you used the technique involved with the quart canister.

Sorry for such an elementary question but I am just getting started into car detailing versus just washing a car. Bob

detailersdomain 04-23-2009 08:08 PM

motobob,

what setting do you have it on?

A, B , C, D, E?

Motobob 04-23-2009 09:00 PM

I had it on "E". Bob

detailersdomain 04-23-2009 09:11 PM

I would change the soap...e is the most foam...

was it megs gold?

you can use Adam's Car Wash that works extremely well.

Motobob 04-23-2009 09:53 PM

yes...Gold I put a small quantity in, sprayed water in it to get it foamy and assembled and used gun...

detailersdomain 04-23-2009 09:59 PM

I would add a few cap fulls.

blitz928 04-24-2009 09:17 AM

I use Meguiar's Gold class, It won't foam unless you agitate it.

Detailed Image 04-24-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Motobob (Post 6509609)
I bought the foam gun and have used it once...but I do not think I am using the right car shampoo or perhaps not using it correctly.

In my first attempt, I used Macquiers Car Wash (heavy liquid/gel like)...I place a bit of it in the quart canister, filled with water creating suds and then hooked the foam gun out. I got a light coating of foam out but nothing like I had seen demonstrated.

Can someone who has used this Gilmour product to produce a strong heavy foam spray to cover the car please tell me what type of car wash brand you used the technique involved with the quart canister.

Sorry for such an elementary question but I am just getting started into car detailing versus just washing a car. Bob

Bob,

So much of how well the foam gun works is dependent on the shampoo used. Some of my favorite shampoos produce 0 suds in a foam gun, while others produce tons of suds.

Our best selling shampoos for the foam guns and most commonly used by professional detailers are the Chemical Guys shampoos. For regular maintenance, Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II is a perfect option. This is a very gentle shampoo that will not strip off previous coats of protection and products lots of suds and great lubricity, which helps minimize adding swirls, marring and other imperfections in the paint.

Another very popular options amongst professionals is Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss. This is a unique shampoo in that when used in higher concentration, it will strip off previous coats of protection, polishing oils and give you a fresh surface to build upon. This is ideal for your larger details when you want to start fresh.

Both of these shampoos are our best products to use in the Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun. Here's a write-up we did explaining the different mixing ratios when using the Foamaster gun.

If you have any questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask. Enjoy the new fun during the wash process!

George