Notices

Optimum Leather Protectant

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimum Leather Protectant

Firstly I'll say that I am a big fan of Optimum Compound, Polish, Poli-Seal and Opti-Seal products.

I particularly love the Opti-Seal, which goes on so easily, has no issues with getting on the trim, lasts a long time and looks glossy and wet. I even put it in my wheels and brake dust comes off easily all season.

OK, having said all this, I just ordered up some more supplies and thought I would try out the leather protectant spray, and I'd like to know if others have had the same experience as me.

I applied the Optimum leather protectant, and found that it smelled a bit like Armor All (I haven't touched that greasy stuff for over a decade). I was hoping for a nice leathery smell or something nice, but nope, it smells like plasticky armor all. Stupidly I did both seats before trying to sit in the car, and guess what? When i sit in the car I slide all over the place! Yuck.

Do you think I can wash this stuff off and put some Volvo leather treatments stuff on it and get it back to normal (non slippery)?. I am most concerned actually about the passenger seat which doesn't get as much wear. I personally hate having to sit in a car that has been armor-all'd, and this stuff makes the seats feel just like that old slippery feeling.

It says on the bottle that it will not get slippery or too shiny, but I am finding that it mostly resembles Armor All. Slippery as heck.

Sorry to have to post a negative post about this - remember folks, I am no expert here, but I have to say that this stuff went on my 1999 C4 black leather seats and made it all slippery - like turn a corner and you feel your butt slide all over the place.

1. Anyone else notice this?

2. How can I make it (slipperyness) go away.

Again, I'll say that Optimum exterior polishes are my favorites - it's just this leather protectant that is a problem.

Anthony - I don't know if you are on these forums much these days, but you have helped me a ton previously with your recommendations, I know you are tight with the maker of this leather protectant - maybe you would be the best to comment. Again - sorry to bring you bad press for this leather protectant, maybe it's just me putting too much on or something - or maybe it will go away after 24 hours or something?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

IMHO one of the best leather conditioners and cleaners is Leatherique. It should easily eliminate the slippery layer left behind by optimum and will also soften, condition and make your leather look as good as it can.

I've been using it for the past 5 years and I continue to be amazed with how well it works.

The Prestine Clean can be used for maintenance between a yearly conditioning from the Rejuvenator Oil.

Griots also makes a good leather conditioner which smells good and leaves a satin surface.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For information on Leather care see article - http://detailingwiki.com/index.php5?...e_Leather_Care
Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I will take the other path, I use Optimum on my daily cars , It leaves a wax coating on the seats is what I understand, and that is the slip factor, and to me, that means less wear on the seats, I like it..
Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the coating effect of the Optimum Leather protectant, it does offer quite a bit of protection. It's great on doors and dash panels, and I even use it on exterior vinyl pieces. It's not too slick for my taste in dressings, and I don't have any experience with Armorall, so I can't compare the smell. I do really like the smell of the Optimum Protectant though....

Steve
Old 09-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BuddyK
Firstly I'll say that I am a big fan of Optimum Compound, Polish, Poli-Seal and Opti-Seal products.

I particularly love the Opti-Seal, which goes on so easily, has no issues with getting on the trim, lasts a long time and looks glossy and wet. I even put it in my wheels and brake dust comes off easily all season.

OK, having said all this, I just ordered up some more supplies and thought I would try out the leather protectant spray, and I'd like to know if others have had the same experience as me.

I applied the Optimum leather protectant, and found that it smelled a bit like Armor All (I haven't touched that greasy stuff for over a decade). I was hoping for a nice leathery smell or something nice, but nope, it smells like plasticky armor all. Stupidly I did both seats before trying to sit in the car, and guess what? When i sit in the car I slide all over the place! Yuck.

Do you think I can wash this stuff off and put some Volvo leather treatments stuff on it and get it back to normal (non slippery)?. I am most concerned actually about the passenger seat which doesn't get as much wear. I personally hate having to sit in a car that has been armor-all'd, and this stuff makes the seats feel just like that old slippery feeling.

It says on the bottle that it will not get slippery or too shiny, but I am finding that it mostly resembles Armor All. Slippery as heck.

Sorry to have to post a negative post about this - remember folks, I am no expert here, but I have to say that this stuff went on my 1999 C4 black leather seats and made it all slippery - like turn a corner and you feel your butt slide all over the place.

1. Anyone else notice this?

2. How can I make it (slipperyness) go away.

Again, I'll say that Optimum exterior polishes are my favorites - it's just this leather protectant that is a problem.

Anthony - I don't know if you are on these forums much these days, but you have helped me a ton previously with your recommendations, I know you are tight with the maker of this leather protectant - maybe you would be the best to comment. Again - sorry to bring you bad press for this leather protectant, maybe it's just me putting too much on or something - or maybe it will go away after 24 hours or something?
Hey Buddy,

Sorry for your bad experience and don't have any worries about a negative review of the Optimum product. This is what helps product manufacturers address issues to make improvements.

I'll be sure to pass your info on to Dr. G.

As for the slickness, that is the polymer which helps you slide in and out for less wear on the side bolsters. It also contains a UV protectant and the scent should be that of "leather" (although leather has no smell like that). It could be that you have the older product?

It should also leave behind hardly any gloss but rather leave a clean, almost new sheen to the leather/vinyl.

Here is how I apply it. I spray it on a towel which I then apply to the seat/dash/panels and after working it in well I buff off any excess with a separate towel. This leaves me with a seat or panel that looks like there is nothing on it.

Try that and see how it works. If you're still not satisfied then please call Optimum, speak with Doctor G. and ask him for an exchange. Tell him I told you to call.

Take care,
Anthony
Old 09-19-2008, 02:41 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Thanks Anthony.

I bet I have the old version of the optimum leather protectant - I bought it from a Canadian supplier, and I noticed they were slow to update to the new Optimum Spray Wax as well.

Anyways, the slipperyness has now gone away in the driver's seat - it's my daily driver, so a week of in and out got it back to normal. It does look good.

I think I'll call up the dealer and see if they can get me the new formula and try again next time.

I have some volvo leather product - a cleaner and conditioner that seems fairly good. I used to use Connoly Hide Food, but I can't get it locally anymore. Leatherique and the new forumula optimum leather stuff is now on my radar for next time.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Optimum Leather Protectant