Notices

Stone chips/rust

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone chips/rust

I have a few small chips developing a bit of surface rust on on the hood of my silver DD E55 AMG. What is the best way to deal with it short of bringing it to a body shop?
Thanks
Ron
Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
I have a few small chips developing a bit of surface rust on on the hood of my silver DD E55 AMG. What is the best way to deal with it short of bringing it to a body shop?
Thanks
Ron
Hello Ron,

Find a local body shop supply place and ask them for a rust remover.....there is a brand which I can't think of at the moment.....but anyway ask them for that (a rust remover for your car caused by chips) and you may also, while there, give them your paint code so they can mix you up some touch up paint. This type of paint is so much better than the touch up type bought in stores or from your dealer.

Then purchase a few brushes, small ones used by model and craft makers. I use several #00, and #000 sable brushes and some thinner to clean the brushes.

After you have removed the rust and cleaned the paint of any wax, grease or oils you can mix up some of your paint in a small Dixie type paper cup. Add about 12 drops of paint plus a drop or 2 of reducer (not totally necessary but ask your paint shop person if you need it, which depends on the size of repair) and then carefully dab the paint into the chip, trying not to leave a bubble of paint behind. Bubbles of paint are usually caused by too much paint on the brush and dropping the paint into the chip rather than dabbing the paint in. Less paint is best as you can always add more but it's harder to remove the excess.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Anthony
Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I will give it a try
Ron
Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

Hey Ron, it's not worth touching up any silver car. You're much better off repainting. Silver will NEVER match, the way silver comes out of a paint gun is much different than a brush, or even an airbrush. The metallic stands up much differently. If you repaint, they'll have to blend the fenders, but it might be a good time to install venture shield.

John
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've had decent luck with Langka. If you figure out when to use it on the touch up paint you can bring out the metallic flake and remove the bubble at the same time. It won't be perfect but definitely better.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

For small paint chips, check out Dr. Chip. I tried the products last week on both my silver Audi and black 993. Good results on both. Not invisible, but very nice, clean touch up.

<no affiliation>

Quick Reply: Stone chips/rust