Removing Hard Water Stains?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts
Question Removing Hard Water Stains?

I have some really nasty hard water stains in an area which I can't use any machines (fingertips only). I've tried two types of polish (microfiber applicator), clay and quick detail spray with no sucess.

Anyone have any idea how to remove these stains/buildup without damaging the metallic paint underneath?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have some really nasty hard water stains in an area which I can't use any machines (fingertips only). I've tried two types of polish (microfiber applicator), clay and quick detail spray with no sucess.

Anyone have any idea how to remove these stains/buildup without damaging the metallic paint underneath?

You'll always want to try and dissolve water spotting away before trying an abrasive method. Try straight vinegar applied with a cloth. It will take multiple applications but eventually the spots should be dissolved.

Also vinegar applied with a eraser sponge, like those from Mr. Clean, work well on glass to remove spots and they can also be used on paint BUT you will need to polish the paint after that. So if this is a hard to reach area that might be difficult so soaking it in vinegar at full strength is best.

Anthony
Old 04-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Anthony, much appreciated.

I have some Q-Tips I can use to dab the vinegar on without getting it on the rest of the area. I'll post results.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Afshin
Any results yet???
Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Haven't tried it yet Brian. I will probably try it today or tomorrow. Caught a cold and it's keeping me out of the garage at the moment, but I am bringing small parts into the house and working on them.

Wife looked at me kind of funny last night when I came in with a handful of cleaning products.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I gave it a go tonight although I had to use rice vinegar since I couldn't find the regular vinegar but unfortunately it didn't help. I did leave it on their for a few minutes and I also tried gently wiping it with a Q-Tip but the stains remain.

I'm at a loss at this point, not really sure what else to do.

Here's a picture of the before, the hard water is slightly better but definitely not gone. The project wasn't just to remove the hard water, it was to clean and polish the lenses and plastic.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's what it looks like right now, better but not perfect.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2008, 03:25 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Afshin
Try removing the lights (not sure how hard it is).....then you could wet sand it (if you had too) and could polish it back up to standards...... Have you tried some bug and tar remover?? What about a poweful solvent (used carefully) like white gas or coleman fuel? Of course you would have to remove it immediately and wax the area to protect it....

It does almost look like old wax build up....but I'm sure you tried some wax remover right?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:45 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water Spots - There are two categories of water spot-

a) Stage One Corrosion [: defined as a surface with light to moderate corrosion damage to the paint surface]

b) Stage Two Corrosion [: definition when the dirt/corrosion deposits are no longer on the surface but have started to break down the molecular structure, leaving an etched or white haze on the surface after the stain has been removed, with moderate to serious paint damage]- ReoWater Spots - There are two categories of water spot-

Removing Water Spots - http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...ter-spots.html
Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Afshin
Try removing the lights (not sure how hard it is).....then you could wet sand it (if you had too) and could polish it back up to standards...... Have you tried some bug and tar remover?? What about a poweful solvent (used carefully) like white gas or coleman fuel? Of course you would have to remove it immediately and wax the area to protect it....

It does almost look like old wax build up....but I'm sure you tried some wax remover right?

I had both lenses removed and the passenger side cleaned up nicely but the drives side is another story. I tried polish, wax remover, vinegar and clay. The clay and vinegar worked best but obviously not enough.

TOGWT,

I don't know if I can classify this as stage or two. It's almost like the buildup you see on wood pilons sitting in the ocean for years. It's not into the paint but on top of it. Really weird.

I'll read through the instructions you posted and report back.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2008, 01:03 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Afshin
What about a solvent based polish...... but it probably isn't strong enough......since its on top of the paint why not carefully wetsanding with some 3000 grit....

Quick Reply: Removing Hard Water Stains?