Notices

Ultimate or Porter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
sprio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the lively and informative discussion - I've been following this thread. I am also considering a machine, as well, and will most likely get the Griot's when their catalog arrives in the mail. Question: should I spring for the whole kit, or just the machine, and order pads, etc. separately?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Follow-up to Sprio--I've read this thread twice, and looked through the Griot's catalog this morning. I'm thinking serously about the Griot's orbital for both myself and as a Xmas gift for a friend. Griot's offers a number of different pads and polishes/waxes.
Other threads on this forum recommend a variety of different waxes as "the best". I wax my P-cars and Explorer often. I gather that the Lake Country pads and Menzerna is the best way to go? Why are these recommended and which pads should I have? Do you guys take off the wax with the machine or use microfiber towels? Thanks for all of the help and information!!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:01 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

dmw44

I would go with
Menzerna SIP with an orange or green lake country ccs pad
Menzerna 106ff with a white lake country ccs pad
and depending on the wax/sealant go with a black ccs pad
Here are the pads if you are going with the Griots machine you will not need a backing plate and you will not be able to use the 4 inch pads.

Here is the link to the pads:
http://detailersdomain.com/index.asp...nfID=17&Page=1

As for wax its all up to you. You can use Swissvax or you can use Einszett etc..
Note: Most of the work will be in the polishing.
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 11-14-2007, 02:01 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 705 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by dmw44
Follow-up to Sprio--I've read this thread twice, and looked through the Griot's catalog this morning. I'm thinking serously about the Griot's orbital for both myself and as a Xmas gift for a friend. Griot's offers a number of different pads and polishes/waxes.
Other threads on this forum recommend a variety of different waxes as "the best". I wax my P-cars and Explorer often. I gather that the Lake Country pads and Menzerna is the best way to go? Why are these recommended and which pads should I have? Do you guys take off the wax with the machine or use microfiber towels? Thanks for all of the help and information!!
You'll like the Griot's polisher. As for why the professional recommend the LC and Menzerna combo is because it works. Lake Country is the leading pad manufacturer in the world. They make the very same pads the griot's and many other suppliers sell and private label. The good thing about using a pad direct from LC is the options you have. The CCS pads are the way to go for their technology. I persinally like the curved CCS pads since it allows me to get into tighter spots and round curves of the car. As for Menzerna, they're a true POLISH company. That's all Menzerna does. They make polishes for the industrial applications, polishing high-end pianos, and now cars. They're technology is second to none. As for a wax, it's purely subjective. If you want a shine and gloss look, go with a synthetic like Autoglym, einszett, zaino, etc. For the purist, we like to see depth and color. This is why I choose zymol. It's the original high-end car care manufacturer that make all-natural products. Their waxes will give you a warm, subtle glow and excellent depth and clarity. Waxes will range from approx. $50-$7200 for the DIY. I personally like Concours or Destiny for the DIY. We use Vintage on our higher-end details. Hope the info helps.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Phil--I'll be in touch for products.
Regards, Doug
Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

doug, sure thing.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Thanks Moe--You are a wealth of information! Regards, Doug
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I got the Griot's buffer today with 2 of there pads, clay, speed shine and #3 polish. I had to just try out a little section on the swirled up black X5. WOW this stuff works!

I want to try out some Lake County pads and Mexerna on my 997S though.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

i am here when you are ready, I'm glad you got to try the products out on your X5.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:46 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

I have a quick question, for removing light swirls and lines on the paint would it be best to use the orange pad? The pad feels a little abbrasive and hard. I wont harm the paint/clearcoat will I? Ive been told to buff a small 2x2 area for a good 5 minutes moving back and forth really slowly.

thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would either try white if that doesn't work go to green or orange.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

The thing i'm afraid of is burning the paint or dis-coloring it. How slow do I need to go, and how long should i stay in the 2x2 area for? The orange pad seems to have worked ok, but should I do more if the fine scratches and swirls are still visible?

Oh, and the white polishing pad that comes with/on the PC 7424, whats that used for? Ive been using the gray or blue pad with the holes for applying the wax and polish.

Last edited by redduck996; 11-20-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by redduck996
The thing i'm afraid of is burning the paint or dis-coloring it. How slow do I need to go, and how long should i stay in the 2x2 area for? The orange pad seems to have worked ok, but should I do more if the fine scratches and swirls are still visible?

Oh, and the white polishing pad that comes with/on the PC 7424, whats that used for? Ive been using the gray or blue pad with the holes for applying the wax and polish.
It is super, super hard to burn the paint with a PC, the pad might fall apart first from the heat of the backing plate. Work an area hard, & then feel the paint with your hand, it should be normal temp of the panels that have not been done yet.

On the PC, you work the area, moving slowly, for a while till you can break down the polish as much as you can, then if there is more correction to be made, you do it again & again. My best advice, is turn the PC speed up, work slow, & give good pressure at first, then lighten it up as you finish.

Throw out the white pad that came with it, or just use it for dirty work, like the wheels, it's kind of useless.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

The smooth white pad that came with it looks pretty good to me, but I guess i'll just use the other perforated pads. Using it for the wheels is not a bad idea...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Since autogeek offered 15% off thanksgiving special I ordered a PC to go with my Makita and Lake Country 7.5" CCS pads.....might as well have the best of both worlds!

Quick Reply: Ultimate or Porter?