Notices

Water Spots on Glass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Addicted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots on Glass?

I have let sprinkler water sit on my car and now I can't get the water spots off the front glass and driver side glass. I have washed it twice and put straight vinegar on it without putting a dent in it. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Addicted
Advanced

Anybody ever heard of or used this: "One Grand's Glass Polish is one of a kind. It eradicates water spots (mineral deposits) on glass or mirrors in seconds. Our glass polish is a very fine pumice which easily removes stubborn mineral residue when compounds fail."
Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Below surface (etched) water spots- (Stage Two Corrosion ) are caused by an aggressive alkaline or an acidic solution (acid rain, bird excrement or industrial fallout) causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. Unlike water spots which typically have a white outline of the spot, acid rain etching is smaller and you can see the damage in the clear coat. Etched acid rain spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them. Acid spots require an abrasive polish to level the surface (some stubborn marks may require wet sanding) and an alkaline solution to neutralize them, simply rinsing a vehicle with deionised water or tap water activates / reactivates the acid concentrates.

Use the least abrasive product first-1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the surface
6. For Ceramiclear or other hard clear coats substitute Menzerna for machine polish;
Super Intensive Polish / Nano Polish (105FF) or Final Finish Polish (106FA) Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
7. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper
Old 09-24-2007, 10:22 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted
I have let sprinkler water sit on my car and now I can't get the water spots off the front glass and driver side glass. I have washed it twice and put straight vinegar on it without putting a dent in it. I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You'll need to get Autoglym's Glass Polish. I've used it many times on hard spots and it works like a charm.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Addicted
Advanced

Great! Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually used brake cleaner on my neglected BMW's windows, and it removed the water spots. They were some sort of mineral deposit. I think you need to figure out if the spots are etched, or if they're mineral deposits.

Matt
Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
GuardsRed
Rennlist Member

I used Rain - x before and it seemed to help...cheaper solution?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:55 AM
kcl
Instructor

Anyone know if ethchings on glass can be buffed out?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be aware the some imperfections cannot be removed and you may have to replace it. If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (0 .004 –inch deep) you should consult a professional glass repair / replacement company.

A replacement windscreen can sometimes be claimed on an insurance policy without loss of no-claim bonus, dependant upon coverage (check first with insurance company).Some windscreen ‘glass’ is actually a plastic resin and will scratch easily, consult your dealer to find out what material was used for the OEM windshield.

Methodology (b):
•Clean glass to remove dirt, dust or road grime from surfaces (also see note 1)
•Apply clay (Magic Clay®) and lubricant solution (WooliteTM / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)
•Apply a quarter (coin) size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish™ or Iz Einzette Glas Polish to a damp cutting / polishing foam pad (LC Orange or White) attached to a Porter Cable HS rotary polisher set at speed 1200 rpm.
•Heat caused by abrasive polishing can soften and damage glass; foam pad and product used must minimize heat build-up. Since glass is a poor heat conductor any friction heat built up from polishing must be kept to a minimum by using sufficient product and regular misting of both the polishing pad and glass surface with water.
•Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side, proceed to other glass surfaces.
•Go over the glass several times in each direction, glass will polish virtually residue free.
•Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth.
•Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.
•If the glass has PPG Industries Optech clear coating a more aggressive polish may be required

Alternative products / methods:
a) Apply Zaino Z-12 with a damp cotton cloth to cool glass, apply to small sections at a time and allow to completely dry, buffing with a clean dry cotton towel. If there is any smearing or residue left just use Stoner’s Invisible Glass or any good quality glass cleaner to remove excess residue.
b) Janvil Scratch Remover (JV-326 / Glass Renew JV-325) - http://www.janvil.com/glass_restore.htm
c) Glass Technology Inc - http://www.gtglass.com/scratchremoval.htm
Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
kcl
Instructor

Great info. Thanks. I have a few bird poop etching on the front windshield that I'm dieing to get off.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

3M's Perfect-It 3000 Extra Duty compound will do the trick with a microfiber towel. Otherwise you will have to go the wheel acid with steel wool route, but that's a pro's trick, and you shouldn't try it if you're not a professional detailer.

John
Old 06-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Always try to dissolve the water spots before you try and abrade them away. Use some vinegar full strength on one of those Mr. Clean eraser pads.....the pad will give the vinegar some bite.

I personally would not use steel wool on automotive glass as it can leave behind very fine scratches that can in time become filled with grime and then start to cloud the glass. Windshields of today are also made of plastic materials.

If you need to use an abrasive product use one made for polishing glass, which would have an cerium oxide ingredient which, when combined with water, makes a paste or slurry.....and a huge mess!!

I recommend also the Janvil company and their line of products.

Anthony
Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM
San Antonio Mobile Car Wash
Track Day

I use Bar Keepers Friend to remove hard water spots on glass and mirrors and it works great. With a damp cloth, wipe with a small amount of Bar Keepers Friend. Dry and buff with a soft cloth for best results.

Quick Reply: Water Spots on Glass?