Soft top Water stains inside hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM
RobMcConnell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top Water stains inside hood

Hi

The interior of my soft top has some water stains that i would like to remove. I removed the liner a couple of years ago as that was quite bad. But now it seems I have got a couple of stains on the inside of the hood itself. THey are only really seen when i put the hood down.

I am in the process of doing the waterproofing and wanted to get rid of these at the same time.

Any help welcome.

Thanks
Rob

91 964 Cab
66 912 Coupe
Jersey, UK
Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

There are a few things you can try on this.

Some natural choices are using cream of tartar suace mixed with water and also baking soda mixed with water.

I think the ratio for the tartar sauce solution is 1/2 cup of sauce to 1qt of water, the water should be hot. Mix the two up and apply with a cloth, using light agitation on the stain marks.

Baking soda may also work very well. Just mix it with water so as to make a paste, apply the paste over the stain, allow it to dwell for a good while, brush lightly and remove with a damp cloth and vacuum. Both of these solutions may need to be used several times.

I'm also told that kitchen cleanser, like Comet or Ajax with bleach, can work nicely in removing water stains. Another cleaner that may work great is Folex carpet cleaner which can be bought at most stores. Home Depot and Lowes also carry it. Don't spray the cleaner directly on the stain but instead spray a towel and then rub the towel over the stain area. The Folex works great so it's a good product to have on hand anyways.

Anthony
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anthony, I thought we were in for a cooking class, interesting products to use none the less (not at all a criticism).

Typical Fabric Top Composition:
Twill Fast™ II by Haartz, a three-ply composite comprising:
1.100% acrylic twill weave outer fabric
2.An electrometric twill weave inner fabric
3. A homogeneously dyed polyester / cotton dobby weave lining fabric

Being the oldfashioned guy I am I'd stick with Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover - http://www.folexcompany.com/
Old 09-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

None taken

Yeah I agree, the Folex would be my first choice also but my mom used to get stains out of some white canvas shoes I had as a kid using those kitchen remedies

Anthony
Old 09-07-2007, 01:36 AM
RobMcConnell
Advanced

thanks guys, very educational.

Cheers
Rob
Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 770 Likes on 405 Posts

Try Autoglym Interior Shampoo and call it a day. It's also great for cleaning the leather and vinyl.

Quick Reply: Soft top Water stains inside hood