Notices

How do I remove black grease from a red seatbelt

Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove black grease from a red seatbelt

I found a smudge of what appears to be black grease on my red seat belt. What should I use to remove the grease without discoloring the seat belt?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Hello,

Buying from a store you may want to try some "Folex". Apply some cleaner to a towel and then to the grease.....try and allow the cleaner to soak in as much as possible and then lightly rub the area with your cleaning towel.

Don't allow the belt to dry in the sun but rather allow it to dry in the garage. I sometimes use a solvent product called "Goo Gone" in the same fashion.

Anthony
Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seat Belts:
Clean seat belts with a Woolite™/distilled water solution, for spot stains use a fabric cleaner (303 Cleaner & Spot Remover ™ or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser) Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean with the Woolite™ solution and a stiff nail brush, allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach or strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.

While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment, ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door)

After a while the seat belt mechanism becomes slow and / or will not retract when released. This can be avoided by cleaning the upper anchor; as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt, which builds up over time. But by taking a Q- tip and some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can clean the seat belt anchor / retracting mechanism. Once clean add some Plexus Plastic Cleaner to provide lubrication.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your help. I'll post results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I remove black grease from a red seatbelt