Notices

I am a moron!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am a moron!

Today is the first time ever that I felt my heart drop for my car. While doing a good deed for a fellow Porsche friend I some how managed to back out of his hell hole of a parking spot and hit the one flower pot I did not see!#$@! In turn this put deep gouges into the drivers side front bumper near the wheel well of my car. The three people standing off to the side watching me back up didn't manage to say anything as they watched me near this object ;m Of course they were able to say something after it was too late...

I can't blame anyone except myself for such a stupid thing so life goes on. Now my only question/concern is how will this be repaired? Since it's only the bumper (plastic) section and damage is limited to an area about 10" long by 9" wide and deep enough that it can't be just sanded out, what should I expect to hear from my dealer when I finally am able to bring it down there? What kind of costs would I now be looking at? Paint work for sure but new bumper or just surface repair? I don't know I guess I just ask these questions because I'm pretty down right now even though it's a minor thing to me it's a BIG thing to my baby

Thanks for listening guys.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I am not sure of the best way to repair this, whether to try to have it repainted or replace the front bumper cover alltogether but I am sure someone here can give you good advice.

Best of luck to you in getting the car fixed.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The depth of the scratches will determine whether or not they can be filled/sanded or the bumper will need to be replaced.

Respraying/repainting the front bumper (don't know what car/bumper you currrently have) is the best route, since there is a natural 'break' and it should match up pretty well (again, depending on your color will determine how difficult it is to match).

If you were ever thinking of upgrading to an aftermarket/euro bumper, now would be a good time.

Best of luck.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:23 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My name is Jon and I am a moron!

We all are at times, don't beat yourself up over it, repair / replace the bumper and move on...

Good luck with whatever way you go with it and let us know***
Old 04-05-2007, 02:14 PM
ekeeton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My name is Ed and I am a moron! I damage my cars in the garage and driveway. I was "clean" for almost seven years until I wedged the rear quarter panel of my 944 on my Jeep's rear bumper going 1 mph in reverse! I didn't get it fixed for three months because I was ashamed to tell my mechanic how it happened.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO, I'M SPARTACUS......er, uh, a moron! I, too, have "crashed" cars in my own driveway, and that's one reason why I'm down to two cars now - it's easier to park/move/maneuver 2 cars in my driveway. Haven't had an incident since.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Unhappy anyone bring the doughnuts?

My name is [mumble] and *I* am a moron!

While backing out of my car's 1st top to bottom fix-it-all-up shop appointment after taking ownership, I scraped my perfect rear passenger wheel skirt over the front lower valence of an adjoining track-readied 944.
3/16" dia down-to-the-primer spot now showing on my 'new' car... 2"-long scraping of layered paint(s) off the 944.

I am up to Step 9 in compensatory actions...

[sitting back down]

Quick Reply: I am a moron!