The True Cost Of Silicon Waxes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The True Cost Of Silicon Waxes

The True Cost Of Silicon Waxes

There has been a great deal of speculation about synthetic wax/sealants that contain silicones, and some pretty wide ranging opinions aired as to what this may or may not do for your car and it's paint.

So I thought I'd share a real example with you - of a car that was treated with synthetic sealants from new, and walk you through some of the disaster scenarios that actually happened.

It's June 2003, and a brand new Chili Red MINI Cooper S rolls off the transporter after traveling across the US from the Hamptons to California.

Straight away there are two problems with the paint

1) The cars on the transporter have been parked too close together, and the rear bumper of the MINI has sustained damage which will need a full body-shop repair.

2) The car has been transported uncovered, and the paint is filthy - it needs immediate help to restore it's like-new appearance.

I take the driver's details for the insurance claim, and then proceed to wash, clay and wax the MINI.

I use a synthetic polymer all-in-one product made by Auri, which contains silicones. I've used this since the early 90's on Porsche, MB, BMW, with great success.

Time moves on, but the insurance claim doesn't!

The transport company are playing dumb, and will not pay up for the repair.

They claim the repair is too expensive, and drag their feet for 6 months.

The repair quote comes from Spectrum Collision in Irvine, which is the only factory certified BMW body-shop in CA, and is also on Moe's 'trusted links' page.

SPECTRUM COLLISION QUOTE 1

I know about Spectrum Collision and their work, because I had visited them in 03 with the Porsche club from San Diego, for a detailing demo day.

Spectrum set-up and ran a great detailing day for us, fully catered, fully staffed, and had Meguiar's along as the detailing products supplier and demo team.

Spectrum's work is top notch, and the selection of exotics in their lot is testament to their position in the area as one of the highest rated body-shops.

So during this 6 month period, I'm washing and waxing the MINI, and continuing to use the synthetic polymer product.

Comes around to Christmas time 03/04, and as luck would have it, a senior citizen reverses his Caddy into my passenger wing and door at the Post Office, so I now have a second area of my MINI that needs body-shop attention.

I go back to Spectrum, and get a re-quote for both repairs, and re-new my fight with the insurance company for the transporter so I can get my money and get my car fixed.

SPECTRUM COLLISION QUOTE 2

I finally get the transport company insurance and the senior citizen's insurance all lined up in May 04, and get the MINI into Spectrum for repair during June 04.

All of this time, the 12 months from delivery to body-shop, this car has been waxed with synthetic polymer product containing silicones.

I asked the manager at Spectrum the body-shop safe wax question, and what issues they will face matching the paint work on my car? I'm very very particular, and I want a perfect finish, and no evidence of the re-spray.

He assures me it's a non-issue, and that the result will be perfect.

Two Weeks later I collect the car, and it is perfect.

Great finish on the new paint, which covers the rear bumper, passenger door, passenger wing, with blending over the hood and rear passenger side panel.

I can see no difference in the finish or color from the original paint, and I again ask the manager of Spectrum about waxing.

He suggests I wait a minimum of 30 days, and up to 90 days before I wax the new paint, but other than that there are no issues with using synthetic polymers.

During 04 I switch to the new Meguiar's liquid wax, NXT.

Again, this is a synthetic polymer product, which produces a deep red shine on the MINIs paint-work, almost like m&m's candy!

I continue to use NXT on this car through June 06, when I eventually decide to sell-on the MINI to upgrade to my 996.

The MINI has 33,000 miles on the clock, but looks like new.

It's been well cared for, washed, clayed, polished and waxed regularly, and shows extremely well.

I put my MINI fashion shots on Craig's List and wait for a buyer.

Takes about 7 hrs, and I have a lawyer from La Jolla on my doorstep, looking over the MINI.

He can't believe how good it looks for a 3 year old car - he keeps commenting about the shine and color.

He buys the MINI straight away, as it's the 'best he's seen', and 'looks like new'.

He pays me $21,500 for the car - which three years before had cost me $23,025.

So I guess the true cost of using synthetic 'silicon' waxes for three years was a depreciation of $1,525

What a price to pay!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

The MINI looks great. Hard to believe it has 33K miles on it. Spectrum Collision does really good work and I would recommend them highly. Unfortuantly, their manager Ed Cobbett has left to run another shop, but Chris Turpin is the "go to" guy for me @ Spectrum now. Cdodkin, what do you use on the black trim of the MINI to keep it looking good like that? I've got a client who used some polish and the white residue will not come off.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:31 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Moe, agree that SC are the best (in this area any way)

Black trim was protected using 303 Aerospace Protectant from day 1 - I like the UV protection and non-greasy finish.

I always remove any wax overspill using a MF cloth and a little fresh wax - just enough to cover the end of my finger.

The new wax reactivates the dried-up white residue when you rub it gently, and you then use a clean area of MF to buff the plastic trim clean.

Works every time.

Quick Reply: The True Cost Of Silicon Waxes