Notices

Meguiar's NXT

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Meguiar's NXT

Say what you will about polymer waxes over carnuba waxes, but I give a big thumbs up for Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

It actually took me longer to vacuum the interior, clean the wheels and wash/dry the car, than it did to apply and remove the NXT stuff. Goes on easy and comes off super easy with microfiber towels. No white stuff in the corners either.

Afterward, the paint looks great and feels even better. Just can't stomach the idea of multiple cleaners and waxes anymore. The less I wax, the more I drive.

Last edited by CBejbl; 11-28-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBejbl
Say what you will about polymer waxes over carnuba waxes, but I give a big thumbs up for Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax.

It actually took me longer to vacuum the interior, clean the wheels and wash/dry the car, that it did to apply and remove the NXT stuff. Goes on easy and comes off super easy with microfiber towels. No white stuff in the corners either.

Afterward, the paint looks great and feels even better. Just can't stomach the idea of multiple cleaners and waxes anymore. The less I wax, the more I drive.
And it will last about as long as it takes you to vacuum the interior also

It's fast and quick but the longevity is not great.

Optimum spray wax is easier and lasts longer, IMHO.

Anthony
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
ocdgarage
AutoX

I agree with anthony. NXT is loaded with silicone. Silicone based waxes are very easy to use and have a good shine but lack in their durability. There are many sealants on the market that are just as easy to use but do not use cheap silicones as a primary ingredient.

Brett
Old 11-29-2006, 11:41 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

The obvious problem with products like NXT is that the end-user usually thinks because it has an awsome shine, it's working wonders. Problem is, nothing in life is easy as pie if you're doing it properly. Good things take time. The shine comes from the silicone; we all know that. The problem though isn't the fact it won't last more than a wash or two. The problem is silicone impregnation over long period of use. Most pros know this, but silicone isn't a very "smart" solvent. By that I mean, it doesn't know when to stop working. So over time, it will actually penetrate the clear and begin going into the pigment. So over time you'll notice areas where the color is off and you cannot polish it off. Then it's too late. So think about a new paint job the next time you pick up a bottle of wax that takes 10 minutes to apply but looks like you spent hours.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

I agree that doing a good job takes time but I am also glad to see that the technology is out there to make products far more "range" friendly. What I mean by this is that because of new products I no longer need to carry with me 3 paint levelers, 2 compounds and 3 different polishes.

I now carry 1 compound and 1 polish. These two have replaced at least 6 other products. These new products work with the concept of more lubrication and new abrasives. They give you a longer working time but the ability to correct paint as well as finish it off ready for sealing all with one product and several different buffing pads.

Same goes for wax. I used to carry 2 sealants and 4 different tubs of paste wax. I now carry 2 waxes, one spray wax and one "One -Step".

So while doing a proper and thorough detail does take time it no longer needs to be SO time consuming nor confusing.

Hey Moe....thanks so much for the Email and your kind words regarding my work and such....the feeling is mutual and I appreicate also your input and dedication to the area of detailing. I apologize it has taken me so long to reply.

Anthony
Old 11-30-2006, 03:17 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You're welcome Anthony. And I really did enjoy reading about your humble roots on your website. Keep up the good work bro.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:00 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Well, if it doesn't last that long, I guess I don't have to worry about getting impregnated.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CBejbl, many here will turn their noses up at any product that you can buy from a normal store...

I'm with you, and like NXT on my black 996.

Comes up looking great every week with a NXT Wash - so I'm not sure the short lasting tag is valid.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:39 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well, if it doesn't last that long, I guess I don't have to worry about getting impregnated.
No offense....but since it won't last that long, one might be tempted to keep applying it. That's when the problem starts. I can care less what you use...there's just products out there that do more harm than good...NXT is one of them.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:54 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cdodkin
CBejbl, many here will turn their noses up at any product that you can buy from a normal store...

I'm with you, and like NXT on my black 996.

Comes up looking great every week with a NXT Wash - so I'm not sure the short lasting tag is valid.

It's looking good every week becasue you're adding more silicone. Wipe down your finish with 50/50 alcohol and water mixture. See what it truly looks like. There's a reason why paint manufacturers, PPG, Standox, Glasurit, DuPont, etc. all say use washes and waxes that DO NOT contain silicone. But what do they know right?....Meguair's, and other mediocre companies that only care about getting your money know your car's paint better than the paint manufacturer.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

No sweat. I don't take offense. I just thought it was mildy amusing to see the response over such an innocuous post, as this was meant to be.

From what I gather (Moe), detailing cars is your business and therefore you have a vested interest in people buying into your way of waxing cars. I totally understand that as I run my own business as well. More power to you.

My point was merely that I don't enjoy 10 hours of detailing anymore. Used to do it, no longer want to.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No sweat. I don't take offense. I just thought it was mildy amusing to see the response over such an innocuous post, as this was meant to be.

From what I gather (Moe), detailing cars is your business and therefore you have a vested interest in people buying into your way of waxing cars. I totally understand that as I run my own business as well. More power to you.

My point was merely that I don't enjoy 10 hours of detailing anymore. Used to do it, no longer want to.
I have a vested interest in making sure my clients are educated. I plan on being around for decades and you can't do that by being shady. If you read any of my posts, I'm not biased toward any one product. Yes, I do use Zymol and am affiliated with them. But I also push P21S, Menzerna, Autoglym, some Meguair's (their Detailer line), Rejex, etc. for their proper application. I believe as detailers, we should strive to find the best products and educate the consumer. It upsets me that there are car care companies out there that mislead the consumer by marketing tactics. I may spend 10 hours on my clients' cars, but on mine, buddy 45 minutes to an hour is all I can take This is why I always recommend things that work for me. There are so many threads on many forums about products. It's amusing to see how many tire dressings, wheel polishes, window cleaners are the best. People like Anthony, Dean, and I have learned to just be passive on some subject knowing if we were to tell the "real" deal, it would upset some people and it would break out into a "my product is better than yours" thread. I understand you not wanting to take 10 hours to do your car, but think about the new guy on rennlist with his 1st Porsche thinking something like NXT is good for his car. That's the guy I'm after and want to make sure he's not mislead. Technology is great and if you watched how I detailed and the system I use, you'd see I'm the first one on the ship for innovation. But I do my homework first and don't run home and apply the newest product on my cars because some half-naked college girl handed me the product for free. Use whatever product you want on your car, but remember when someone that is in the industry and has a solid reputation is telling you the truth, take it with a grain of salt and don’t argue. We take time out of our day to chat on these forums to educate you guys, and be educated as well, because we’re so passionate about what we do and care about making sure detailing is a fun and rewarding experience for the enthusiast. That’s my long 2 cents.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
boostfix
Advanced

I just got my first Porsche 2 weeks ago....I am in the process of learning how to things right so that I can properly care for my car. One of the areas that I will enjoy is detailing but only if I know that I am doing it right while saving as much money and time as I can. The biggest point for me doing this "research" before product to car.....I don't want to use the wrong product. So I really appreciate the dialogue on this forum and in the short time that I have been reading this board, I have come to realize that Moe and Anthony give great advice on effective car care. Thanks guys - you will be saving me from learning about things the hard way.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moe, your comments are somewhat contradictory.

You say that the NXT product doesn't last because it's silicon based, and will be gone after a few washes.

You then say that the problem with Silicon is that it hangs around, gets into the paint long term, and causes problems.

I completely understand that silicon requires removal before a body shop can apply new paint, and this is where the 'issues' with silicon tale got started.

But that particular issue has been dealt with for many years now, and a good body shop has no issues removing silicon prior to bodyshop work.

Do you have the same issues with Arcylics? Just curious....
Old 12-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Not all silicones are created equal.

Some are harmful and others, mainly the water-bourne types, are not....unless you ingest them over your favorite scoop of ice cream!

Since redoing our living room my notes are scattered abroad.....When I locate them I'll list up what silicones one wants to avoid.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Meguiar's NXT