Notices

costco microfiber towels for zaino's application

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
fw2001c4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default costco microfiber towels for zaino's application

just wanted to hear people's opinion on costco's microfiber towels.

bought a bunch of stuff from zainos and i'm about to clay and apply zainos. zaino's recommends using 100% cotton towel. i have a pack of MF towels from costco and was wondering if that works.

thanks.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

The towels from costco are a low mid-grade quality. I know a lot of people use them for waxing the finish and wiping it down. I suppose it's better than using diapers or cotton terry towels. I use them for cleaning the interior, wiping down the wheels, etc. For polishing, it's been my experience that microfiber is too soft to take off the polish. It will work, but you gotta put a lot of elbow grease. It's excellent for taking off wax. You should use higher end microfibers for waxing or wiping down the finish. IMHO.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 AM
rg588911
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

According to Guru reports on Waxing, the Micro Fiber towels from China are lower grade then the ones produced in Korea. Walmart has some very nice ones from Korea. I bought the Costco ones too. They are great for interiors and grime cleaning but would rather use the nice Korean ones on the paint. there is a noticeable difference in quality.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That said...Zaino is much easier to buff off and shine than wax, so you don't need such a high grade MF towel...in my view.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by rg588911
According to Guru reports on Waxing, the Micro Fiber towels from China are lower grade then the ones produced in Korea. Walmart has some very nice ones from Korea. I bought the Costco ones too. They are great for interiors and grime cleaning but would rather use the nice Korean ones on the paint. there is a noticeable difference in quality.
This isn't necessarily true. The recent trend is since labor is cheaper in china, some companies use yarn that is from korea but manufacture it in china. Even though it's made in china, it is considered korean. I use towels that are made in both places and the quality is the same. You just need a good supplier.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I also use the costco "yellow" chinese special......good enough for the price!
Old 09-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Rennaissance
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Costco yellows all the time and here is my verdict:

Pros:
Excellent water absorption
Excellent swirl prevention, picks up dirt extremely well.
Can be pressed hard without leaving marks / swirls on medium hard paint
Can be used for buffing with some elbow grease
Retains properties wash after wash as long as you use a microfiber detergent and wash on cold.

Cons:
When new, bleeds yellow on contact with cleaners (citrus and alcohol degreasers),
The yellow residue is sticky and hard to remove.
This makes them unusable for leather cleaning, window cleaning and paint degreasing.

Watch out for this as the yellow dye will leave a cloudy layer on your paint. Don't ask me how I found out. It does get much better after a few washes, however.

I also doubt that this is limited to Costco towels or even to yellow MF towels in general.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

We use the Costco MF's all the time but I learned the hard way that the fiber is hard enough to scratch paint. I limit my use to the wheels, undercarriage and engine.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 PM
David Fermani
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using yellow Costco towels (brand new) on some of the softest paint in the world for several years without a single issue. In fact, I find them as good or better than anything else yet costing a fraction of the price. I will say this....they don't hold up well to washing and after the initial wash they get downgraded to less risky applications.

Quick Reply: costco microfiber towels for zaino's application